Volleying

Everything about Death Ball.

Moderators: Jay2k1, DavidM, The_One

FrostyCoolSlug

Post by FrostyCoolSlug »

Arc^ wrote: Erhm you can barely make a succesful volley against a good defence..

bah, a good defence is always hard to find nowadays, especially on public servers..

i'm an attacker, my most "back" position is the half way line, it means if an attack fails, i can make a quick comeback.

you get goal hangers. People who will stand on the edge of the penilty box and obstruct the goalies view, making saving balls increasingly difficult.

i've been playing goalie for a while, and because of the goal hangers, became acustom to using the ability to volly to stop shots.. now i cant hit jack.

I really dont know if any of what i have said is on-topic.. but..

INCREASE THE GOALIE RADIUS!
Arc^

Post by Arc^ »

Surge wrote: i can... many people can... its called teamwork, not some lame wall volley

Yeah well I was actually talking about wall volleys (not a volley from a 'normal pass', you know), since every complain about volleys are actually wall volleys..
FrostyCoolSlug

Post by FrostyCoolSlug »

wall vollies are a pain in the arse for goalies to save, they go waaay too fast, and generally, unless shot straight at the keeper are unsavable :/
beefsack

Post by beefsack »

what if you can only do weak volleys from passes from yourself? it would prevent most wall volleys and "n00b cannons" (put the ball just in front of you and volley it)
FrostyCoolSlug

Post by FrostyCoolSlug »

well, if you make it the power of a normal shot, it would certainly even things up.. If 2 ppl are responcible for a wall volly, then the goal seems deserved, as sorta, a reward for team play.
theberkin8or

Post by theberkin8or »

volleys are very much savable i have no clue what you are talking about, i can stop a good pretentage of volley shots and i am not even a keep, you can actaully predict most of the time where the ball is going to go off a volley, but as with any shot if the ball is volleyed from a couple feet from the goal it is probably going to go in cuz the keep doesn't have the time to react, just like in most sports, the closer you are the easer it is to put the shot in the back of the net, so no volleys are not unstoble unless they are taken from very close, in which cass you just need better D

btw you are not going to get any one to make any changes in db by saying there isn't very good defence in pubs, this has always been the case and we shouldn't change the game to fix a human problem (to change anything in this regards would probably ruin dbl)
FireCell

Post by FireCell »

I was going to say roughly the same about how i see a good percentage of volleys being saved all the time. The better of the keepers seem to have little hassle in saving a volley, the better attackers manage to score more volleys.. maybe this is due to their set up and their aim, correct me if im wrong.

The problem with "noob cannons" i see these mainly work when the keeper runs out at the dropped ball and therefore it was their mistake in distance/time. As theberkin8tor said when the attacker is close to the keeper they have a far better chance of scoring a goal, watch any football match excluding beckhams. So if a player gets a chance to "noob cannon" then the defence werent really trying, i play in defensive midfield and would be highly disappointed with myself if i gave a chance for someone to shoot that. Arc already pointed out that a successful volley against a good defence is awkward, this isn't so true with a volley from a pass but wall volleys are near impossible if they have a good defence.
Goldeneye

Post by Goldeneye »

30 uu difference isn't much. it's just the wide of a line in cube. and as morningstar already mentioned, volley is harder for an attacker than the defender, also a defender can just volley it up into the sky, where as the attacker has to wait a little bit longer until the ball is low enough to volley it in the direction of the goal...

also those big volley radius are needed as most players don't have lan pings to servers. lowering those would make it very hard to impossible for people with pings around 100 or more.
f1end

Post by f1end »

Originally posted by Goldeneye
30 uu difference isn't much. it's just the wide of a line in cube. and as morningstar already mentioned, volley is harder for an attacker than the defender, also a defender can just volley it up into the sky, where as the attacker has to wait a little bit longer until the ball is low enough to volley it in the direction of the goal...

U do???

I thought u could volley down even if the ball is above u, as long as it is inside your volley radius...

but anyway, i think volleys still need to be slightly slower than they are now.
Surge
Banned

Post by Surge »

you can f1end. You can volley from anywhere in your hitbox + about 20-30 uu's around you. I'v done many overhead crazy vollies on smallcube.
liebs19

Post by liebs19 »

I agree. Lets see, volleys go a LOT faster than normal shots and are a LOT harder for keepers to stop. Yet they are worth more points for the scorer and the assist man. Shooting gets harder and harder to do in each version because the defense gets better, yet those of us who can still make the goals get no credit for anything. It seems you want all shots to be made on volleys. You get more points, you get special goal messages. It is to the point where lamers will try a volley when they are 1v1 with the keeper because they will get more individual points, or they will get a "special message." If volleys are worht more make them harder to do. Its not very difficult to understand.
Ashleh

Post by Ashleh »

w/e the radius was then... "you know the story.." (lol old post this)
-plær-

Post by -plær- »

i miss surge :(

oh, and *slap* ash for bumping old shit...
Messy

Post by Messy »

cha..this is from the time when I was merely lurking :| (yes..me being silent ;p)

gg why all these bumps? :x

And your post didn't even really help anything..wtg?