Some ideas for a mapping noob

Look for maps, show your maps...

Moderators: Jay2k1, DavidM, The_One

Armagon

Post by Armagon »

Thanks for the help twigstir, I now have a properly functioning radar in the map.
I've put your name in the credits now. :)
So all that remains are the goal events. What I'm thinking of doing is simply setting a sound to be triggered. When I looked at a few other maps, I realised there weren't always flashy or attention-grabbing events. On DB-Ship there was simply a foghorn. That was it, and that worked for the map. I was thinking of having a sudden buzz of machinery. I will look at the possibilities.
Twigstir

Post by Twigstir »

Well, what can I say but thankyou very much. I try to help when I can. You can spend a crap load of time and lose a lot of hair trying to figure all this stuff out. Pop DOM-Outrigger in the editor. I have not figured out how almost the whole map is one subtracted brush.

I noticed something you might be interested in. DB-Turbin has flickering lights over the goals. Take note of the emitter IN the spotlight.

As for goal events, I did not put any in my map yet. I'm not sure if I will. If you can come up with something that works for your map, then do it. I would not reguard goal events as a must have but, they can be neat. The simple horn in DB-Ship works well for that map. I think an industrial warning sound might work for your map. I not sure if Epic has any but they might.
Last edited by Twigstir on 08-06-2003 02:52, edited 1 time in total.
Armagon

Post by Armagon »

I can easily import one if I don't find any. I have games galore that I can rip sounds from. :)
Armagon

Post by Armagon »

The final is complete and I have sent it to http://www.ut2003files.com. I'll let y'all know when it is available to download. :)
Armagon

Post by Armagon »

Wtf is going on! Whenever I play the map in instant action, the skybox works fine, exactly the way it should. However, when I play it online the sky turns to its base texture of concrete. :confused:
Last edited by Armagon on 08-06-2003 17:01, edited 1 time in total.
Armagon

Post by Armagon »

Well, weird sky or not, DB-TheWarehouse has been put up on OzForces.

You can download it here: http://www.db.ozgl.com/maps/DB-TheWarehouse.zip
Armagon

Post by Armagon »

Can anyone tell me what is wrong with the skybox? It is really annoying me now. In case you couldnt be stuffed reading the previous posts, I'll explain the problem again.

Basically, whenever I play the map in instant action, the skybox works fine. However, when I play it online, the skybox disappears and the concrete base is the only thing you can see.
Twigstir

Post by Twigstir »

You don't have a Zoneinfo actor. I believe you need one for the skybox to work correctly. I'm not 100% sure, so you don't kill me if that's not it. Just add the ZoneInfo actor to the main part of your map. Put in near the radar actor, that way it's somewhat in the middle of your map. You shouldn't need to adjust anything. Just add the actor, build all, and cross your fingers.
Last edited by Twigstir on 10-06-2003 00:22, edited 1 time in total.
cajuncook

Post by cajuncook »

No, he does have the actor in there. I wouldn't know why it's acting up like that. I know a map in the past had a problem with the skybox, unfortunately I'm not sure who made the map, how it was fixed, or even what the map was called.
Armagon

Post by Armagon »

According th the Hermit, he is suffering the same problem in DB-JE-TheBook.
I never noticed it before, but he's right. Maybe a future ut2003 patch will fix this bug? I doubt it, but who knows.
Armagon

Post by Armagon »

One possibility I have been considering to at least make the outside area look half-decent, is to put fog out the window and have it raining or snowing.
Twigstir

Post by Twigstir »

cajuncook wrote: No, he does have the actor in there. I wouldn't know why it's acting up like that. I know a map in the past had a problem with the skybox, unfortunately I'm not sure who made the map, how it was fixed, or even what the map was called.

I did an actor search and I don't come up with a zoneinfo actor. Nor do I see one in the map. He has a skyzoneinfo actor. I still believe he also needs a zoneinfo actor. So, I ran a test.

I added one, did a build all, saved the map to a new name, put up a server, and played it with a working skybox.

Armagon, see my other post, give it a shot. It took me two minutes and I had a working skybox online with your map.

P.S. - I downloaded "the book" and it was the same as yours. A skyzoneinfo actor for the skybox but no zoneinfo actor for the main part.
Last edited by Twigstir on 11-06-2003 03:23, edited 1 time in total.
Armagon

Post by Armagon »

Thx I'll try it. :)
Last edited by Armagon on 11-06-2003 04:57, edited 1 time in total.
Armagon

Post by Armagon »

It works. That means every bug I know of is gone. I shall submit the REAL final now. :D
Armagon

Post by Armagon »

Ok now I'm just waiting for the file to be put on http://www.ut2003files.com