Some ideas for a mapping noob

Look for maps, show your maps...

Moderators: Jay2k1, DavidM, The_One

Alars

Post by Alars »

the light on the right of the picture arent on? or is that just a funny angle? anyway like Armagon said it is his 1st map so it aint going to be top notch but at least he's got it this far.......

Good work Buddy!

PS add another white light in the corners of the room
Armagon

Post by Armagon »

Yeah the light on either wall are facing opposite directions. The ones on the right are facing diagonally towards the red goals, whereas the ones on the left are facing towards the blue goals. I was thinking the skybox was a bit bland as well, so I'll probably add some trees as GF suggested. As for the lighting, I wasn't sure. I couldn't decide whether or not it was too bright. In the game it looks a little darker.

I can look at these more carefully now that I have finished the beta. That's why I'm going to release it as soon as I can. I'm beginning to wonder whether the majority would prefer to have the center platform gone. So I would like to get some opinions on that after they test the beta. I would like people to point out any other things they think I could improve. But for now I shall have to wait til I can upload it.
Armagon

Post by Armagon »

OK I have added the pain triggers, dimmed the lighting a bit, and added trees to the outside area. It's looking better already. :)
Armagon

Post by Armagon »

Download this file. Trust me, it's worth downloading. I can't tell you what it is, because it's a suprise. ;)
To people that DO download this file, please do not spoil the suprise for anyone else. :)
Armagon

Post by Armagon »

I have uploaded the beta to http://www.ut2003hq.com. It may be a couple of days before it is actually up, but I'll be sure to let everyone know when it is.
beefsack

Post by beefsack »

bah! dont put in too many trees. ive seen many a good map which has been ruined cos the mapper got tree happy and killed the fps :S
Armagon

Post by Armagon »

Actually that's something that concerned me too. But despite the additional groups of trees, they have had very little impact on the framerate (or at least thats the case with my machine). I'm still getting a healthy 70-90 fps on max detail. That for me is the equivalent of smallcube. However, if anyone finds the beta to be an fps killer, let me know here and I'll minimise the number of trees in the final release.
Last edited by Armagon on 29-05-2003 09:53, edited 1 time in total.
Twigstir

Post by Twigstir »

Armagon wrote: I'm still getting a healthy 70-90 fps on max detail. That for me is the equivalent of smallcube.

I want your machine :devil:
Armagon

Post by Armagon »

NO IT'S MINE! :lol:
beefsack

Post by beefsack »

lol i aint even tried it yet :p ill get it this weekend and ill tell ya how my heap of crap handles it ;)
Armagon

Post by Armagon »

The great thing about it is, that the actual map itself is so lacking in detail (compared to most other DB maps), that it is less than 1mb when it's zipped. Since the final release will include the song "Breathe", I'll have to upload it elsewhere. UT2003HQ has a petty 2mb file size limit.
The Hermit

Post by The Hermit »

Looking quite good. Better than the impression you get from the screenshot.
The areas behind the goals look done, you just need to add some more stuff to the actual playing area (Things in the corner, signs on the wall, some crates, etc)
Oh, and path the Bots... ;)

You may want to add something behind the goals that would cause the damage, like steam or fire coming from a pipe near the door/goal that you would pass through as you go in. Just don't go to overboard with the emmitters as this WILL effect FPS, which is nice at the moment. :D
Armagon

Post by Armagon »

I'm not to fussed about the pain emitters behind the goals. As for the detail of the actual warehouse, I was planning to put a few pipes up against the walls. I WAS planning to put some crates in the corner, I'm free to do so now the actual room is built. As for signs and so on, I'm still searching google for half-decent quality pictures to put up. If anyone finds a picture that would work well in the map, post it here or give me the URL please.
Armagon

Post by Armagon »

Unfortunately I haven't been unable to do any work over the last few days (studying for exams), but in the last hour I have been working on the lighting and experimenting with it. I found a nice lighting combination so the level is looking a whole lot sweeter. :D
Last edited by Armagon on 03-06-2003 00:24, edited 1 time in total.
Armagon

Post by Armagon »

I just read this thread through from the start, looking at the older screenies. It's actually quite suprising for me to see how far this map has actually come. :)

Quite an evolution isn't it? :)