2.4 testing info

Everything about Death Ball.

Moderators: Jay2k1, DavidM, The_One

Onge

Post by Onge »

DavidM wrote: When you get over a certain point in your charge bar (when the shot starts being really hard) your mouse sensitivity starts to increase drastically, which makes it super hard to aim long shots properly....
I like the sound of that!

From my first impressions I liked most of the changes. The goals are a lot bigger than I was expecting and I'm not sure if I like that. I wanna play a lot more games though before judging.
The_One

Post by The_One »

Of course changing mouse sensitivity could be easily worked around by those who have Logitech G5 or Razor mice. :)

Maybe a light shake instead.
Guide

Post by Guide »

Agreed The_One

O_O!
DavidM

Post by DavidM »

no, shake will make it uncontrollable, because its not up to you.
haveing 4x the mouse speed will do the job
Da Spadger

Post by Da Spadger »

DavidM wrote: no, shake will make it uncontrollable, because its not up to you.
haveing 4x the mouse speed will do the job

Have you been eating skaarj tail soup? Make it 512x more and increase the FOV to 160. :D
DavidM

Post by DavidM »

you played ONP? \o/
skaarj tail soup for akuma
Messy

Post by Messy »

Though I'm just a small individual amidst the heavy flaming going on etc.; my 2p on the changes to 2.4:

Sounds gooood.
After playing, I can still only say that :)

Indeed, it doesn't feel well atm.
Agreed, I'm afraid of change too.

But when people get used to bigger goals, faster shots and hopefully bigger maps, imo the following things will happen:

- Defence stays back less and forces the attackers to shoot from further away;
- Keepers can save more shots after getting used to it;
- Positioning and organisation will be even more important (or maybe just as important, but we'll all have to learn to communicate all over again).

Of course I had a lot of problems adjusting, but I can't really say I've had a good taste of 2.4.
Atm, a lot of tweaking is left to be done, people are playing the wrong maps (DB-Avenir..x_X), people are still depending too much on box defending, keeper-attacker-1on1s and boosting, and deflects are plain buggy sometimes.

All in all, I'm curious as to what 2.4 will bring us when people adjust their tactics etc. (it's also a general 'feeling'-thing: atm I think a shot is fully charged, when it's hardly half-way through ) but I'm sure it will be a good game.

Just stay with it guys, please :) try to adjust! I'm sure for a lot of us (nostalgia and fear aside) 2.4 will make Deathball more like the game we all expected DB to be in the first place.

ps: I like the way the Ozzy community is coming forward with their opinions too for once! yay :) <3

edit:
InSaNe` wrote: In other words, if your defense got beat (offense got open) then the keeper has no chance.

That's the whole point ;) Defence has to adjust majorly to the new gameplay.
The whole point is for keepers not to be so powerful in 1on1s, perhaps even chanceless :)
Last edited by Messy on 25-09-2005 20:35, edited 1 time in total.
XiD

Post by XiD »

i've played it quite a few times now, and I have only one concern: the massive .15 reflects. on paper, i think its a great idea - it would certainly richochet off someone if shot in close proximity. however, its getting out of hand. i have had numerous (and embarassing, the case of my own goal) moments where an enemy player BEHIND me would reflect it crazily even tho i shoot it up and directly away from him.

that means, if i ever get teh ball and someone is right next to me, i have NO chance to get rid of it - it ALWAYS .2's because they are so close. this is a game-ruining aspect.

other than that, i'm willing to play it out and see how it goes :)
InSaNe`

Post by InSaNe` »

Messy wrote: That's the whole point ;) Defence has to adjust majorly to the new gameplay.
The whole point is for keepers not to be so powerful in 1on1s, perhaps even chanceless :)

That makes 0% sense.

Then what's the point of having a skilled keeper? What's the fucking point of keeping? So that you can get scored on if your defense fucks up? I'm sorry, I refuse to waste 40 minutes of my life either watching my defense do good or getting raped because my defense isn't that good.

Yeah, people have been saying "db's gonna die after xx.x version" and now I really think it's going to happen if basic changes aren't made. .2 is horribly fucked up. If there's a shooter in front of you, you can miraculously catch it. I understand it's a beta but things better change for the best of it.
Messy

Post by Messy »

WARNING: Beta's may have bugs in them!

I'm guessing it will be fixed saneh :)

As for keepers, yeah I think their role will change.
A keeper is supposed to have little chances of saving when an attacker gets too close.
Just, right now, the definition of 'too close' has changed. Defence has to adjust to that.

You're saying keepers are useless?
Right now, it's more like footy :) keepers aren't useless there either, are they?
Did you forget for a second that shots from far away are viable too now?
The_One

Post by The_One »

DavidM wrote: haveing 4x the mouse speed will do the job
How will it do the job if people can work around it with the push of a button? x_X
Da Spadger

Post by Da Spadger »

DavidM wrote: you played ONP? \o/

'course i did. \o/

Hey! Who's that ugly son of a bitch?

Aw FUCK, IT'S ME!
InSaNe`

Post by InSaNe` »

Messy wrote: WARNING: Beta's may have bugs in them!

I'm guessing it will be fixed saneh :)

As for keepers, yeah I think their role will change.
A keeper is supposed to have little chances of saving when an attacker gets too close.
Just, right now, the definition of 'too close' has changed. Defence has to adjust to that.

You're saying keepers are useless?
Right now, it's more like footy :) keepers aren't useless there either, are they?
Did you forget for a second that shots from far away are viable too now?

Indeed beta's will have bugs in them but the main point of my rant is that the game is revolving around the defense too much. If the defense sucks, then the keeper has no choice but let in shots. But if the defense is good then shots won't go in as much. So I ask you, what difference does it make if the keeper is skilled or not? After all, it all depends on the level of skill the defense has.

Far shots are now an option, but I'm not counting those since those are simple to catch, I exaggerated.
Zonk

Post by Zonk »

You CANNOT keep in this version without volleying.

Volley keeping was actually really effective with 0 ping, but i'm not sure how easy it would be online with that added delay.
DavidM

Post by DavidM »

Da Spadger wrote: 'course i did. \o/

Hey! Who's that ugly son of a bitch?

Aw FUCK, IT'S ME!

\o/
luv it