Failed Volley "Twang" Concerns

Everything about Death Ball.

Moderators: Jay2k1, DavidM, The_One

Ian-Vincible

Failed Volley "Twang" Concerns

Post by Ian-Vincible »

I have been a DB Keeper since UT2004 and 2.0. Since then there have been many fixes and adjustments to make keeping harder and attacking easier, but one i just cant seem to understand is the frequency of the "Twang" when you try to volley but it fails. It used to be from what i remember a result of trying to volley the ball too soon after being shot. Now in 2.3 this occurs more frequently and at any time. It happens when going for interceptions, when trying to save, and it can occur milliseconds before someone successfully volleys a ball. I have also had a twang occur somewhere between 1-2 seconds after ball has been shot. Now i have been told by others its attempting to volley the ball too soon, but its simply not the case any more. Especially when the old "Noob Cannon" (volley immediately after the ball has been shot) still works. If someone could explain the actual rules and reasons of the "Twang", so that i may get back to cleansheet keeping, i would greatly appreciate it.
The_One

Re: Failed Volley "Twang" Concerns

Post by The_One »

Ian-Vincible wrote: ...so that i may get back to cleansheet keeping...
lol. sorry to pick that bit out.
Ian-Vincible

Post by Ian-Vincible »

Certainly not bragging, but it was much more attainable to be 'cleansheet' in 2.0 than it is in 2.3, i suppose thats part of the reason for the changes in keeper radius. It still happens occasionally though, with a half decent defense to lend a hand.
The_One

Post by The_One »

I've noticed it too but since I usually play on American servers with a 100+ ping I just put it down to that.

I don't see making a keeper's job harder as a bad thing but it would be nicer if the hammer at least did somthing, like deflect the ball a bit.
W]or[m

Post by W]or[m »

it's a slight delay...because in the old days, when a person would shoot, a low pinging defender could hit it immediatly after the offense shot it back the other way...its suppose to help the team with ball posession i guess...but i dont like it either, lol. and for keeps its good...or else it would be impossible to fucking score
DavidM

Post by DavidM »

sure, its annoying for defenders
without it
a) you could 100% block the goal
b) nobody can shoot past a defender

i have concepts in mind to get rid of it, but major changes are needed. live with it for now.
Accept that it would just be a lot worse without it
The_One

Post by The_One »

Oh definitely. It was impossible to get balls past opposing players without it.

Just needs to be changed to a growing radius tis all.
NoSexualFreak
Banned

Post by NoSexualFreak »

i think its fine. i think davidm finally got keeping right after shit loads of complaints :thumbsup: :\
:-)

Post by :-) »

I think it's the worst thing ever, but I know DavidM doesn't give a
twang about keeper's rights so I suggest waiting for SourceBall;)
`Ghost`

Post by `Ghost` »

NoSexualFreak wrote: i think its fine. i think davidm finally got keeping right after shit loads of complaints :thumbsup: :\

nah piss off

edit: amen Smiley :p
InSaNe`

Post by InSaNe` »

I've been keeping since the dawn of DB and I can tell you that adjusting to 2.x from 1.9 has been the hardest. Mainly because of this new "unable to hit". Sure it's a great idea, but sometimes it really screws things over.
NoSexualFreak
Banned

Post by NoSexualFreak »

i mean for 2.x its fine.. cant be much improved.

yes 1.9b was hot.. but since 04 shit happens...
Ker]v[et

Post by Ker]v[et »

posted by :-)
I think it's the worst thing ever, but I know DavidM doesn't give a twang about keeper's rights so I suggest waiting for SourceBall
thats just... a stupid comment.

I agree with InSaNe` but also have to say that you need a good defence atm and not just a uberKeep. You can still do so much in a Game (5on5, not 3on3 whores) as a keeper.
I found it sometimes even fair that i couldnt hit fast volleys.. on the other Hand alot Save's arent save due the smaller radius, which makes is very hard for the Keeper.

Anyway, yea changes have to be done but its not that fuck'd up atm!
Last edited by Ker]v[et on 04-09-2005 13:42, edited 1 time in total.