Any future plans to support assault paths?

Everything about Death Ball.

Moderators: Jay2k1, DavidM, The_One

Twigstir

Any future plans to support assault paths?

Post by Twigstir »

With keepers staying in goal in 1.7, If you get the bots to quad jump and support assault paths, the AI for deathball would be fairly good. David M answered an earlier thread saying that there are plans for quad jumping AI but, not in 1.7. I was wondering about any plans to support assault paths in the future?

For those who don't know, assault paths are used in Bombing Run and CTF so the bots take alternate routes to the base/goal. They could also be used the same way in deathball. Even in square open maps like cube, they could help spread the bots out and make them less predictable.

I ask this because I'm finishing up a map and if there are future plans to support assault paths I'm put them in now. My map's bot play would benefit from them. I already put in jumpspot-pathing for quad jumping based on David M's earlier post. I just don't want to waste my time if it's not something we won't see some time in the future.
DavidM

Post by DavidM »

nah, we'll do our own AI stuff, but I have no clue how yet
aqua was supposed to make the bots be leet
we'll see, 2 months ago i gave him a txt with a few guidelines what the should do etc
Twigstir

Post by Twigstir »

Cool, thanks for the quick reply.

P.S. If anyone would like to see some pre-release pics of my map, DB-PeacefulNight, I have some here http://home.rochester.rr.com/twigstir/ Please excuse the site, it's only an infant. I've had a web site for only a week so I'm still learning HTML code.
Last edited by Twigstir on 06-05-2003 05:59, edited 1 time in total.
Rens2Sea

Post by Rens2Sea »

:S Scale up the grass texture :o
Twigstir

Post by Twigstir »

Your right, thanks for the feedback. I wish I would have remembered to do that before I took those screen shots.
Onge

Post by Onge »

If you're going to make a web site with thumbnails, please make them small files to download...It's taking ages on my 56K connection for them to download.

Looking good though...
The Hermit

Post by The Hermit »

Definately looking good.

I think the bots will tend to congregate around the center due to it being in a 'valley'. may be better to leave a gap between the rounded boulder and the rest or perhaps make a tunnel through them...
Twigstir

Post by Twigstir »

Sorry Sycophant, When I take some new ones I'll downsize the thumbnails. Still learning, I thought a 35K jpg was small but, I'll go smaller.

Your right Hermit, Bots do tend to congregate in the center, that's why I asked the question above. There are paths between the rocks (bots tend not to take). The bots can get onto all the rocks. The big rounded one, the bots have to use the jump pads/low grav (they don't quad jump). The jump pads came from bot-play. I had not orginialy planned on putting them in. I do think they also help human play. Without the jump pads, getting onto the big round bolder required a quad jump from one of the other rocks or a quad jump from the stone walkway side of the boulder. It is possible to quad jump onto the rock from other areas but, very difficult. With all that said, the bots don't tend to use the jump pads enough either. Assault paths would have made a big difference in bot play but, they are not supported. We'll have to wait for DeathBall team to come out with something.

Thanks for your feedback and I do consider all suggestions for improving the map. I hope to have it ready soon. Working on the radar now. As you can see from the picture I need to add the rocks and do something for the tree. I also need to darken some colors. In-game they brighten up a bit much. The semi-dark green color for the grass area almost looks lime green in-game.
DavidM

Post by DavidM »

to me it looks unplayable with all the stuff on the pitch
Twigstir

Post by Twigstir »

Well, I hope it's playable. The same map without the trees and rocks is much slower than the current version. 4 antiportals in the big rocks makes a good FPS boost. I used static meshes instead of BSP in a lot of instances. I hope that works but, time will tell.
Lemmeloose2000

Post by Lemmeloose2000 »

Sweet better AI =)
saur0n

Post by saur0n »

db maps w/ obstacles are hard to make good (not that i've made any, just what i know from playing)

you should definitely be able to get on top of the rocks by jumping like in tribun, if you have to walk up that would be no good

and i think the trees might be frustrating for visibility

just my 0.02

nice looking though
Onge

Post by Onge »

Although a thumbnail of 35K isn't too large, when you've got 7-8 of them on one page then it does become a problem for the modem users out there...