DB-JE-TheBook

Look for maps, show your maps...

Moderators: Jay2k1, DavidM, The_One

stigdu

Post by stigdu »

Best custom map I've played for Deathball yet. Excellent stuff. Well done Hermit!
The Hermit

Post by The Hermit »

Thanks!!! :D [Head swells to unbelievable size :eek:]
There were actually some other things I wanted to add but it was starting to effect the framerate, that and I couldn't get some of them to work... :( [Head returns to normal size :o]
Armagon

Post by Armagon »

Ah its great the way it is man. :)
|NERV|NapalmDaw

Post by |NERV|NapalmDaw »

Hermit, excellent excellent map. It's so good I'd love to put it into play on the IGL Dball ladder for team play. But there's one problem I have. The area outside the playing field is soooo huge, it's easy for teams with a lead to commit time killing routines. Can you make me an LE version (league) where there is a blocking volume around the book to prevent the ball and people from going out there? If that can be done, I'd implement the map in a heartbeat.

Finally a map volley hungry ballers don't stand much chance on.
The Hermit

Post by The Hermit »

I'll look into that.
May end up with the book on a table not much larger than the book and the surrounding room in darkness.
How's that sound? :confused:
|NERV|NapalmDaw

Fine by me. I just want to stop lame time killing, clock run downs.
Alars

Post by Alars »

|NERV|NapalmDaw wrote: Finally a map volley hungry ballers don't stand much chance on.
Ahem, I find, being a volleywhore myself, that if you launch a shot at the base of the lenses, that it bounces up perfectly for a volley. Mind you, the fact that one can only launch at a height of a few feet of lense and nothing more, does make your comment true.

Alars
Surge
Banned

Post by Surge »

or if you actually passed so other people could volley...
The Hermit

Post by The Hermit »

Well I tried a few different things to make DB-JE-TheBook(LE) as |NERV|NapalmDaw wanted but they all looked pants or played terrible. This is part of the problem created when trying to remove the wall volley problem found in Cube and many other maps and there is no way I'm putting any kind of wall, fence, cage or whatever around the edge of the book as this will just bring back that problem. So, there won't be an LE version of this map. :(
|NERV|NapalmDaw

Do you think you could put a ball kill zone out there? Maybe a blocking volume about 1/2 way up and then make the rest a zone that kills balls? Just like the very back end of the map.
The Hermit

Post by The Hermit »

So the ball gets reset if it goes off the book but people can run around?
Not sure if that's possible. Will look into it.
Surge
Banned

Post by Surge »

why not make the table more of a podium with a top section with a light over it, and the little holder at the bottem and stack some books on the ends for walls at the ends of the zones...

it would look sorta realistic.
The Hermit

Post by The Hermit »

... 'cause walls = volleys = ghey! :D
Last edited by The Hermit on 30-04-2003 06:39, edited 1 time in total.
The Hermit

Post by The Hermit »

Okay. I've put an 'LE' version of this map up.
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/thehermit/ ... ok(LE).zip
Be warned, the connection can be rather slow...

It looks exactly the same as the normal map.
The difference is that if the balls leaves the book it is reset. It is possible to leave the book holding the ball, but as soon as it is released, it resets.

Hope this is what you wanted |NERV|NapalmDaw! ;)
Surge
Banned

Post by Surge »

let their be some fall time... dont keep it restricted to JUST the book... maybe a little bit pas the book, sorta like on november where th eplay field is outlined but you can go outside of the actual field portion but its restrictive.