1.7 beta :/

Everything about Death Ball.

Moderators: Jay2k1, DavidM, The_One

DavidM

Post by DavidM »

hm, asked tnse if it can be done....
but he came up with a weird saddam comparison and was telling me to code it and other sh1t....

ugh
Cyph

Post by Cyph »

the concept of sitting on one side and dodging across is totally rediculous
But it doesn't work. I haven't had a shot saved by that tactic in as long as I can remember.
Larc

Post by Larc »

Cyph wrote: But it doesn't work. I haven't had a shot saved by that tactic in as long as I can remember.

i have seen goalies who are very good at this. they have come close to keeping a shutout even against good players.
Rampart

Post by Rampart »

After re-evaluation... I would consider the 3/4 dodge at regular speed inside the keeper box to be acceptable... I think that it will probably work. You can toss out all my randomy ideas before...
Cyph

Post by Cyph »

Larc wrote: i have seen goalies who are very good at this. they have come close to keeping a shutout even against good players.

I haven't. I've played against the best goalies in Europe, but they don't stop shots by dodging, and when a keeper tries to, I score.
Rampart

Post by Rampart »

[V3]Gnomeh is probably the best at timed-dodging in North America when he does it. Although there are some other really good ones.
night

Post by night »

the real problem with just dodging across the goal is the 'suction factor'.

yall should watch the range that the ball will 'suck' to a player. its insane.
The_One

Post by The_One »

i agree night, it looks ridiculous and is quite annoying.
DavidM

Post by DavidM »

ehm, plz explain
Killing_U

Post by Killing_U »

catch radius?
Surge
Banned

Post by Surge »

the suction factor is why i dont score 50 goals a game. its when the hitbox of the ball expands and the ball is magically sucked into the player. You usually see a trail of the ball getting sucked it. It happenes a LOT on low shot. Its generally when the player isnt moving and still magically catchs the ball due to the hitbox expanding. Its extrmemly annoying cause many shots that should be goals dont go in because of it
Surge
Banned

Post by Surge »

on an unrelated note:

Larc is right about it being all reaction time... wether you shoot from 2m or 20m if your not in the right spot when the ball hits the net its a goal. When i keep i rarely use dodge except to dive at people, dive to get the ball in the corner or dodge to TRY and save a 1v1 goal. All of which a longer dodge is nesessary for. The current dodge works.. it works well.

Nerfing dodge will do little to nothing to affect good dodge keeper.. they'll still stand to one side of the net because of the suction factor (stated above). Reducing dodge does little to nothing besides preventing keepers from stopping 1v1s and getting the ball in the corners. Also, since i just skimmed through the posts instead of reading each and every one, i think something was said about how you cant score form long range? Well most of the scoring is done in the Pbox area or just outside of it. Whats the point of reducing dodge? that wont help scoring.. Speeding up ball movement will... inreasing the shot and pass power will create a faster game momentum and give us the ability to score from farther out even with a keeper that can dodge all the way across the net.
speedy

Post by speedy »

DiStUrbeD wrote: I didn't see it in the 1.7 beta...did you fix that thing where you can only jump twice after being killed?

that bug is epics fault. happens in the quad jump mutator too :o
Alars

Post by Alars »

Surge, where it is at the moment is just about equivalent with professional soccer/football. Only the best strikers can actually get the ball past the keeper for a goal from long range. This is where DB is atm. most scoring shots on goal come from just outside the pbox.

which brings me to an idea......say the ball is travelling mighty fast at a defending player from an attackers volley or shot (volleys within 25m and 95%+ powered shots within 20m) and the defender catches it. CRAP - i say have a deflection system so it bounces of the defender much like a body volley but in some random direction. This is what pros try to do in soccer/football - why not in DB?

PS i realise that may require extensive coding but then again i am just rambling....
theberkin8or

Post by theberkin8or »

becuase that would make the game horrible spam, any idea that makes the game more spamy than it is not a good idea. you don't have the fine control you do with football so things have to be in designed for the large catch raduis

btw most any idea that has the word random in it is probably a bad idea
Last edited by theberkin8or on 27-04-2003 00:27, edited 1 time in total.