Before the start of next season.
24%
Never and Liverpool won't defend.
53%

Total votes: 17

[1234]Jr

When will UEFA crack?

Post by [1234]Jr »

Ok, they (at the moment) don't want to let Liverpool in the Champions League next season. Ha. That's balls. So when will UEFA crack and let Liverpool into the Champions League?

Could they crack between in a few weeks? Months? Never?!

What will people 'do' if Liverpool weren't allowed to defend it next season?

Im not going to go extreme and say people will boycott - it's a truck load of money for starters - but there must be some negative reaction if they are not let in again, right?

Thoughts? Even if you don't care :p

Trying to find stuff to get people talking about that doesn't involve insulting some pyramid gayness.

Note: For people who don't know/care of the situation:

4 teams from the English league are allowed into the Champions League next season, the top 4 from the Premiership. Liverpool, however, finished 5th (behind rivals Everton) and such didn't qualify for a position (at all).

BUT they won the cup. However there is no 'clause' saying the winners can come back the next year and defend it (like the World Cup/Euro Champ where you automatically qualify).

EDIT: Seems the above paragraph is not true, i should have listened to the ITV commentator guy but ITV is the WORST football showing channel, after Ch5! Look at Ceno's post further down, im sick of him being right! ;)

This hasn't happend many times before, i don't think, but i read about it happening in La Liga (Spanish league) and they allowed Real Madrid to take another Spanish clubs place. But we don't want that, Everton worked their balls off this season and deserve their spot. So yeah, Liverpool (as it stands) can't defend what they won.
Last edited by [1234]Jr on 27-05-2005 08:04, edited 1 time in total.
`Ghost`

Post by `Ghost` »

Everton worked their balls off indeed

Think Liverpool should be let in \o/
Rens2Sea

Post by Rens2Sea »

Blahblahblah, most ppl don't care...
GazMaN

Post by GazMaN »

as far as im aware, or at least heard off a 1 eyed deaf monkey, the winners of the world cup now have to qualify also to get into the following cup, only the hosts get automatic qualification.

either way, its absolute bollocks that a team who wins the cup cant defend it.

Oh, and a further point specially to Shev.

Remember when milan knocked united out? you were being a cunt supporting foreign teams over your own country`s, laughing at united and saying how great shevchenko is.

Yea, he was great last night wasnt he? Made me laugh my tits off , when the smug bastard tried a clever penalty. :)

Oh and im a die hard man u fan, and im pleased as fuck livershite won last night :)
Cenotaph

Post by Cenotaph »

Bah, there is a Cup Holder spot, UEFA has that in the regulations. You guys havent been informed well...

The problem is that no more than 4 teams of the same country can be in the Champions League, and thats y UEFA says that in this kind of situation the 4th placed team goes to the UEFA Cup, that is if the FA asks for Liverpool to go.
For instance, if this situation happened in a country like France, Germany, or Portugal, that have place for three teams in the Champions there would be no problem. all three teams could go to the UCL and the holder could go to, making that would be 4 teams for that country in the UCL. But England can't have one more.

SO, in the end, its not the UEFA that should crack, its the FA that needs to crack. Liverpool fans must understand that if they dont go into the UCL its not UEFA's fault, but FA's fault.

Ok... So here's some excerpts from UEFA Champions LEague regulations:

Article 1
Entries for the competition

1.01. UEFA member associations may enter a certain number of clubs for this competition, in accordance with their position in the rankings listed in Annexe Ia, and subject to the approval of the UEFA Administration. However, no association may enter more than four clubs for the competition. For representation in the 2004/05 competition, the seasons from 1998/99 to 2002/03 inclusive are taken into account.

1.02. These rankings (Annexe Ia), drawn up in accordance with the stipulations of Annexe II, points 5-10, determine the number of representatives per association, as well as the stage at which they join the competition.
Associations are represented on the following basis:
a) One representative: winners of the top domestic league championship.
b) Two representatives: winners and runners-up of the top domestic league championship.
c) Three representatives: winners, runners-up and third-placed club in the top domestic league championship.
d) Four representatives: winners, runners-up, third- and fourth-placed clubs in the top domestic league championship.

1.03. At the request of the national association concerned, the UEFA Champions League title-holders may be entered for this competition, as an additional representative of that association, if they have not qualified for the UEFA Champions League via the top domestic league championship. If, in such a case, the title-holders come from an association entitled to enter four teams
for the UEFA Champions League, the fourth-placed club in the top domestic league championship has to be entered for the UEFA Cup.

Hope this will enlight those that are not very well aware of the true situation...

So, as we say here in Portugal: FA is trying to please greeks and trojans. They don't want to take Everton out of it, but at the same time they want a 5th place for Liverpool. That just wont happen, cant happen, it would be unfair and illegal for UEFA to make that kind of decision at this point. FA must decide if they want the holder in UCL (The holder will get a direct qualification, btw), or if they want Everton (which goes into qualifying and may not even qualify for the competition).
Last edited by Cenotaph on 26-05-2005 14:40, edited 1 time in total.
The_One

Post by The_One »

You just repeated what Jr said. gg.

UEFA can do what ever the fuck they like. If they want only teams beginning with L to be allowed in the Champion's League they could do that.

If it's between Liverpool and Everton, I'd choose Everton. But come on UEFA have a heart. Let Liverpool have a playoff with TNS.
Last edited by The_One on 26-05-2005 15:48, edited 1 time in total.
Cenotaph

Post by Cenotaph »

No, i didnt say the same thing.

A crazy idea would be for FA to organize a match between Liverpool and Everton to decide who deserves the spot xD
Last edited by Cenotaph on 26-05-2005 18:31, edited 1 time in total.
Onge

Post by Onge »

Liverpool must be able to defend their title - at Everton's expense if necessary. Both should be allowed in.

Everton will lose in the qualifying round anyway...
The_One

Post by The_One »

Cenotaph wrote: No, i didnt say the same thing.

Yeah you did. Your post just had more copy and paste. :o
R3L!K

Post by R3L!K »

seems to me that Ceno is probably right, and it will be down to the FA.

Since this is the first time they have had to deal with this situation they could and should use this opportunity to set a precedent for the future.

I suggest that the 4th place in the league be a provisional place which can be relinquished should the CL winning team require it to re-enter the tournament. This should be set in stone in the FA rule book henceforth.

Of course this is a bit harsh on Everton in the here and now.

A play-off is not a bad idea at first glance - however the principle of it is just as insulting as forcing Everton to give up their place.

Everton earned fourth place and they earned the right to be there. Besides, the financial repercussions for them would be huge.

And what if Liverpool lost the play-off?
It wouldn't count as a CL game so it wouldn't actually solve the problem of the title holders not being able to defend their title.

However if the FA offered Everton some kind of remuneration, it *may* ease the pain - I'm sure they could use the money - unless they have a few more Rooneys up their sleeve.

Doubt they can be bought off though

edit: just read this off the bbc website:

"But the FA says it will lobby strongly for Liverpool to be entered into the qualifying rounds.

Said FA executive director David Davies: "If they are admitted at an early stage they could play one if not two of the smallest sides in Europe and for those clubs it would be a fantastic prospect in terms of both football and finances to face the European champions." "

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/footbal ... 582621.stm
Last edited by R3L!K on 26-05-2005 21:05, edited 1 time in total.
Cenotaph

Post by Cenotaph »

R3L!K wrote: I suggest that the 4th place in the league be a provisional place which can be relinquished should the CL winning team require it to re-enter the tournament. This should be set in stone in the FA rule book henceforth.

Totally agree, infact thats what is done in other countries... Spain and Italy in this case.

ok ok, Spain for sure. Italy i just assume. can't bother to check their documents ;)
Last edited by Cenotaph on 26-05-2005 22:07, edited 1 time in total.
R3L!K

Post by R3L!K »

seems the FA were willing to do this last season for either Chelsea or Arsenal, so I'm guessing they may be forced to do it this season.
The_One

Post by The_One »

It would be scandalous if that happend. :o

Here's hoping not.

(am I a lone voice btw?)
[1234]Jr

Post by [1234]Jr »

Ok, Ceno wins - but i was half right ;)

I usually do things wrong when i go to make a long statement i bend the truth, heck, in my AI essay i made some guy make a statement 26 years after he died. Woops.

I say dont let United in ;) They had a shite season - knock us out the FA cup will they, bastards! ;)
`Ghost`

Post by `Ghost` »

I agree with Gazman o; support your countries clubs not foriegn teams against them |: ... just bs

aaaaand Onge it doesnt matter if Everton go out in the qualifying rounds or not, they worked to get there, so they should stay there. If its between Liverpool and Everton, Everton should go, whether they'd get further than Liverpool or not, they got further up the table in the premiership, and earned their spot, Liverpool never.