A few of my favourites...
Dave Matthews Band
Coldplay
Radiohead
Portishead
Air
Sonic Youth/Thurston Moore, Leonard Cohen, Paco deLucia
and of course the Beatles,
basically, I like pretty much everything except for country...
elvisyo

Post by elvisyo »

Oh... really nice ...and down to earth... :)

Leonard Cohen! how did I forget?!
Damn this list would never end...
puckoberon

Post by puckoberon »

I'm somewhat broad orientated, though I really never have been into metal and very little into dance, trance etc. But what I seem to be missing overhere is new wave, The Clash, The Waterboys, early Simpleminds etc. Old Soul, James Brown (!) Marvin Gaye, Otis Redding. Apart from Elvis, what about Chuck Berry, Jerry Lee Lewis.The Brain Setzer Orchestra, brilliant, but I still like the Stray Cats aswell. And some other names that spring into mind: Nick Cave, Tom Waits, Captain Beefheart. And well, a lot more. Including Dutch artists and groups, Bebop and some classical music.
Morris

Post by Morris »

My music collection is quite broad but here`s some of my favourite bands:
Faith No More, Metallica, Rush (greatest band ever), Maiden,
At the Drive-In, The Mars Volta, Manic Street Preachers,
Pink Floyd, Bob Dylan, Zeppelin,Scissor Sisters, Coldplay, Slayer, RHCP...
...and of course some finnish bands like Mokoma and Viikate!!
supamom

Post by supamom »

Oh, Puckoberon, you named some bands i had forgotten existed, like the waterboys, stray cats and simple minds................all very cool bands of which i love to listen to.
puckoberon

Post by puckoberon »

We're almost of the same age, so it figures.

And speaking of that time, The Specials, Madness, The Cult, Anne Clark.

And for the odd one out, Jacques Brel, I've always loved him...

Edit: This all reminds me, I really should play those vinyls more often, or better, copy them on cd.
Last edited by puckoberon on 02-05-2005 18:05, edited 1 time in total.
supamom

Post by supamom »

Lol, i have a pile of vinyl in the attick, but alas, i no longer own a record player on which to play them. Cult were cool in their day, i also love Scritty Politi and Stray cats, along with stuff like Level 42 and loads of other stuff from that era. The list would be endless if i mentioned everything i have ever liked. One of my all time favorite songs though has to be "I can't go for that" by Daryl Hall and John Oates, and then my fav band kinda remade it last year, yes, thank you Simply Red!
elvisyo

Post by elvisyo »

A word of advice.
Don't copy your vinyls on CDs. I know that CDs are much more user friendly, but there's nothing like a good ol' noisey spining black plate... and techincally speaking, copying vinyl to CD demands remastering. otherwise it'll most likely sound bad (acctually, due to technical stuff, you'll lose quality).
Springer

Post by Springer »

OH! supamom, you like Level 42?! Did you read that I said Mark King lives here in the Island and is SUCH a NICE guy!!! I am SO pleased he still has some fans! :)
fastpitchgirl501

Post by fastpitchgirl501 »

man.......all this stuff is before my time........lol i feel so little i have heard of sum of them but i dont no any of the european bands

fastpitchgirl501
puckoberon

Post by puckoberon »

@ elvisyo, yes I know, that's why the record player is still on top of the audio-set. But it seems so much hassle now-a-days to put on a vinyl, I'd really liked them to be on cd.

Hall & Oats, didn't like them then and still don't like it. Too mushy for my likings. Level 42, nice band and I do remember the bassplayer in one of my first bands (I was/am guitarist/singer, amateur) back then actually hammered his thump to bleed, trying to copy his style.

Edit: @ girly, Those old rockers, the bebop, the classical and most of the old soul was way before my time as well, so if you're curious enough, it doesn't have to hinder you. As for not knowing anything European, just pay attention. After all, except for the Indian culture, we've brought you everything. I myself for a fact am being daily reminded for living almost on the spot where the Pelgrim Fathers left Europe (for England) Be curious! The old continent still has much to offer... {end of playing a teacher out of good will mode ;) }
Last edited by puckoberon on 03-05-2005 14:56, edited 1 time in total.
Serendipity

Post by Serendipity »

Hey all,

I listen to a broad range of music as well, and there have been a lot of bands mentioned here that I like, like most of the alternative/guitar stuff and the older bands. Lately however, I've been moving into garg's direction more and more because I've always been into electronic music and I've only just realized that there's a lot of good stuff out there one need not be ashamed of ;)

David, have you heard of Michael Bublé? He's from Canada, and has become pretty popular recently with his versions of classic swing songs. I think he has a pretty impressive voice.
puckoberon

Post by puckoberon »

Serendipity, this guy definitely has a good voice and a nice swing!
Brings back all the goods from the ratpack.
fastpitchgirl501

Post by fastpitchgirl501 »

noe i have herd of him he is awsum sumtimes after a hard day i will throw him in my cd player and just relax..god i sound so old all of a sudden