Making DBL America more North American

All about Death Ball Leagues and Tournaments

Moderators: Jay2k1, DavidM, The_One

TFO_ThePimpImp

Making DBL America more North American

Post by TFO_ThePimpImp »

I was thinking this might be a cool idea to spice up DBL America and throw in a little flavour that might help out its popularity.

All popular professional sports leagues in America run in a single league with divisons format. What my proposal is to take DBL north america and turn it into one big league. Give it 2-4 divisons with about the same numebr of teams. In these leagues teams in the same division would play each other twice and each team would play each non division team once. Then at the end of the season the top teams from each division(top 2 if 4 divisions, top 4 if 2 divisions) would have a playoff (either best of 3 or single game knockout) to decide the DBL AMERICA league winner and also the 4 teams that get champions league berths.

This means that every team has a chance at getting into the champions league and will make competition for players and the matches themselves much fiercer. It will also bring the league closer and I think give it a much more North American feel which would make it easier for new teams to come in. New teams would have their chance to be called DBL AMERICA champions, which makes it more appealing to teams that might be considering joining the league.

These are just my thoughts. I have no major probelms with the way the league is now, but too many teams are leaving DBL America and I just thought I'd give my input on how we could liven it up.
Fooman

Post by Fooman »

I'd like to see a football (REAL football) style. 4 divisions, 5 teams per division, each teams plays teams in their division twice and all non-division teams once. (25 games in the regular season) The 4 division champions and 3 wild cards(3 best rcords of what's left) advance to the playoffs. The top record gets a 1st round bye. Playoffs are single elimination. Playoff opponents determined randomly. Win and u advance, lose and you go home. I think this is what ThePimpImp was aiming at. (The main difference is I'd like to reward the best team with a bye in the playoffs). Tie in record are broken by who won the series in the regular season. If it was split then a tiebreaker match would be needed.

Of course rules are subject to change prior to season's start. The rules would need to change depending on the amount of teams in the league. No drug testing though. ;)

Anyway I'd be up for this big time. Or something like it. I'm not a real big fan of different level leagues and a points for a win/tie system. The only sport like that in America is hockey. (2 points for a win, 1 for a tie) In hockey a loss doesn't kill you as much as in DB or soccer.
TFO_ThePimpImp

Post by TFO_ThePimpImp »

well your playoff formatting need a little work but the rest is good. It would be better to have top 2 from each div adn then next 4 and give all the 1st place in each div a bye. THat would give maximum competitiveness.
Fooman

Post by Fooman »

Right, yours works out better, I was thinking NFL with 1 bye, but 4 byes is just as good.
gnomeh

Post by gnomeh »

I know there are too little teams, but I think there should be playoffs for each Division of the America and Europe. Whoever wins those playoffs (or come into the last 2-4 teams left) move up to the next division. If it is the div1 playoffs, the winning team just gets bragging rights and anyone who comes in last on the scoreboard moves down one division.
I wouldn't mind redoing (and i'm sure all American teams wouldnt) redoing the playoffs if a better way could be thought of.
-NS-KillerRebel

Post by -NS-KillerRebel »

pertaining to thepimpimp's idea of 12 teams in the playoffs:

Division A
Team 1A (23-0)
Team 2A (18-5)
Team 3A (13-10)
Team 4A (8-15)
Team 5A (3-20)

Division B
Team 1B (22-1)
Team 2B (17-6)
Team 3B (12-11)
Team 4B (7-16)
Team 5B (2-21)

Division C
Team 1C (21-2)
Team 2C (16-7)
Team 3C (11-12)
Team 4C (6-17)
Team 5C (1-22)

Division D
Team 1D (20-3)
Team 2D (15-8)
Team 3D (10-13)
Team 4D (5-18)
Team 5D (0-23)

With these results this is how the playoffs should look:

Seeds (this is dependent on record after the first place teams of each division; the first place teams are given seeds 1-4 in order of record; tiebreakers are (1) head-to-head record (2) division record (3) goal differential)
1. 1A
2. 1B
3. 1C
4. 1D
5. 2A
6. 2B
7. 2C
8. 2D
9. 3A
10. 3B
11. 3C
12. 3D

Round 1
(1) Seed 8 (2D) vs Seed 9 (3A)
(2) Seed 5 (2A) vs Seed 12 (3D)
(3) Seed 6 (2B) vs Seed 11 (3C)
(4) Seed 7 (2C) vs Seed 10 (3B)
BYES: Seed 1 (1A); Seed 2 (1B); Seed 3 (1C); Seed 4 (1D)

Round 2
(5) Seed 1 (1A) vs Winner Game (1)
(6) Seed 2 (1B) vs Winner Game (2)
(7) Seed 3 (1C) vs Winner Game (3)
(8) Seed 4 (1D) vs Winner Game (4)

Round 3
(9) Winner Game (5) vs Winner Game (6)
(10) Winner Game (7) vs Winner Game (8)

Round 4
(Championship Game) Winner Game (9) vs Winner Game (10)
(3rd Place Game) Loser Game (9) vs Loser Game (10)
*better seeded team is always HOME

And there is my idea if we want to go with ThePimpImp's idea for a new league :D
Fooman

Post by Fooman »

Works for me.
-NS-KillerRebel

Post by -NS-KillerRebel »

just recieved news that nuttyservers is willing to sponsor the playoffs by holding all the matches on their neutral server in chicago USA... nuttyservers is located at http://www.nuttyservers.com for all your server needs (p.s. tell them i told you to go there ;))
Rampart

Dum de dum

Post by Rampart »

The only real problem with that... is -if- deathball ever gets big... you're going to have a hell of a lot of trouble with the skill spread, the scheduling (too many teams to have 2 games and 1 game against all of them), and other such mass management problems. That's why most internet leagues don't run this way.

If you wanted to make it an invite-league, well then you might be able to work something out. But, that implies that you have to have a sizeable amount of teams that you can invite... There aren't enough teams for that yet.
Fooman

Post by Fooman »

The rules will change depending on the number of teams in the league.
Surge
Banned

Post by Surge »

i'm sorry but 25 games is a bit too many for even me unless thay can be played at any time... almost all clans would be forced to over-recruit just to have 5 players every night and the quality of play in DB would be totally anhilalated.
Fooman

Post by Fooman »

Maybe we could have less, but the non-division matches would have to be determined randomly I would think.
Hoju

Post by Hoju »

This issue is also being discussed on dbc http://www.dbcenter.org/forums/showthre ... readid=410
TFO_ThePimpImp

Post by TFO_ThePimpImp »

Surge wrote: i'm sorry but 25 games is a bit too many for even me unless thay can be played at any time... almost all clans would be forced to over-recruit just to have 5 players every night and the quality of play in DB would be totally anhilalated.

It would still work out to 2 games a week. We'd have 4 seasons a year too.
Surge
Banned

Post by Surge »

thats WAYYYY too long.. it should be playing each team once for the season then have a short playoff period with the top 8 teams. Single elimination games, no byes, no ties. It would take about 5-6 weeks tops. Thats more my attention span.. also if your on a bad team or are having a bad streak, your entire 3 month (12 week season) can be affected and you have to wait THAT MUCH longer to make a comeback next season.