DB-JE-MatrixLobby

Look for maps, show your maps...

Moderators: Jay2k1, DavidM, The_One

Should I continue to work on this map?

Yes definately! It's the Dog's Bollox...
76%
No way! It's the Dog's Breath...
24%

Total votes: 17

beefsack

Post by beefsack »

whats the problem with the shine? as long as there isnt any part of the level below the floor it shouldnt be hard at all to make shiny.
Hoju

Post by Hoju »

what about doing the aftermath of the lobby scene, pillars with tons of bullet holes and the concrete (marble?) fragments on the ground. Maybe with some dead bodies and guns scattered about.

Goal effects - have the elevator ding and fire come out like the bomb. (if you don't use my above idea) have bullets go flying and hitting the pillars and them falling apart (possible?)
Armagon

Post by Armagon »

I like the idea, but I don't know about the dead bodies being able to be put in. They would probably have to be included as static meshes in order for them to be put in as part of the level itself. But wouldn't this also mean it would be possible for the bodies to obstruct the path? I don't really know enough about map making to be sure, but that is my suspiscion.
The Hermit

Post by The Hermit »

That's pretty close to what I have in mind. :cool:
Just made the basic shape of the level first.

The shine problem is mainly with the pillars, you can see the ball, and sometimes the other players, through them! :eek:
beefsack

Post by beefsack »

yeah, like i said, you cannot have any of the map beyond where the reflective surface is :( . you are just going to have to settle with shiny floor/walls (which imo will still look awesome)
Alars

Post by Alars »

umm what if you made all the pillars shiny static meshes? is that possible?
Surge
Banned

Post by Surge »

why not just make the pillars full of water so they're naturally reflective?
DavidM

Post by DavidM »

"I admit the lighting is simple, but simple works sometimes. Remember that."

well, obviously not in this case
actually i've never seen good simple lighting
The Hermit

Post by The Hermit »

Surge wrote: why not just make the pillars full of water so they're naturally reflective?

What? :confused:
WTF are U on about! They were certainly NOT full of water in the film... :rolleyes:
The Hermit

Post by The Hermit »

DavidM wrote: "I admit the lighting is simple, but simple works sometimes. Remember that."

well, obviously not in this case
actually i've never seen good simple lighting

And what complex lighting technique did you use for Cube?
A sunlight actor, some projectors, more than a few emitters and other RANDOMLY placed lights! :p :rolleyes:

The only thing that adds any interest to Cube is the sunlight.
Emitters with no sources in the crowd, great idea... and that's from the master of the Lighting guides! ;)
Chrisfu

Post by Chrisfu »

The lighting would look better, if the textures were more appropriate. The structures look sound to me, as does the lighting. You have to agree: that isn't the best texture you could use to pimp your lighting. :P

Mail some of the guys at Epic, they'll set you straight on implementing reflective surfaces.
The Hermit

Post by The Hermit »

Chrisfu wrote: The lighting would look better, if the textures were more appropriate. The structures look sound to me, as does the lighting. You have to agree: that isn't the best texture you could use to pimp your lighting. :P

Mail some of the guys at Epic, they'll set you straight on implementing reflective surfaces.

Definately agree, particularly with the version that's available to download as it has no shine on it whatsoever!
Trying to get a decent marble effect is a real pain... :(
Surge
Banned

Post by Surge »

its cause UT DM maps are generally dark so dont require great lighting or detail. Just good solid gameplay and cosmedics to help with appearence (like static meshes and well placed puddles and such)
beefsack

Post by beefsack »

how is making marble effect hard?
The Hermit

Post by The Hermit »

THE DAMN SHINE! :rolleyes: