Dodgeball public beta test available

Everything about Death Ball.

Moderators: Jay2k1, DavidM, The_One

gutterflower

Post by gutterflower »

id emagine it couldnt be done /o\ blocking volumes would have to move for a start, i dont think that possible? (i might be wrong im a newb to mapping)

on a different note, if any of you have tried out dob-fizz, you have any suggestions/bugs? please dont report the stairs bug/grass texture bug, they have already been fixed \o/
Rens2Sea

Post by Rens2Sea »

Rampart wrote: maybe this is a stupid question... but is it possible to make a map out of like 4 static meshes, for each of the 4 quadrants of the room, then as more people die, slide the 4 pieces so they overlap, so the arena gets smaller? Or is that beyond the scope of the engine?

I just ask because its hard to finish off the last guy on maps like bigdodgeball.

No, when the ball hits a wall it calls the function HitWall, in there there is code that counts the wallhits.
But static meshes aren't counted as walls, atm i have no idea where and how static meshes hits are called, so it would be the best to use as least static meshes as possible.

But there is still hope :p

Added a feature, that if you are the last player alive in your team, your shotpower is much stronger, so it is easier to kill.
FAT('.')BOY

Post by FAT('.')BOY »

played a few games now and generaly had fun.

only downside so far is the distinct lack of team work with everyone chasing the ball and no-hope shots being done right from the back of the court when a pass would have been good
Rampart

Post by Rampart »

Not to mention that standing on the ground and shooting is usually pretty effective, but when you do that, people will stand in front of you and steal your shot.
The_One

Post by The_One »

i haven't played dodgeball yet but...

you could make it so if you hit a teammate with shoot, they are out, just like if you hit an enemy.

then teammates can only get the ball if you want to pass it to them.

p.s. alternatively, instead of them being out, the teammate could be frozen on the spot for a short time, say 10 seconds.
Last edited by The_One on 16-04-2003 19:57, edited 1 time in total.
Maegrim

Post by Maegrim »

ideal for lamers to kill their teammates
night

Post by night »

2 things, im rigging up a battleball map, but i need multiple balls. like 10-12. seriously. and it would be great if, with multiple balls, you could have 2 sizes. 1 fat one (kickball size) thats slower with a bigger hit radius, 1 smaller (softball size) faster with a smaller radius.

its an old game i played in jr high. bad ass game.

er, and #2 i think i just figured out. so nm

oh, if you could also put in the volley only option (cant pick it up) instead of waiting for 1.7, i have a map that needs that too...
night

Post by night »

haha, rens, u answered me on the ina forums O_o.
so never mind the multi ball Q, just hurry up with it :p
night

Post by night »

and who made movement ?

i cant figure out why in hell dodgeballpawnred works (stops red, lets blue through) but the blue one wont. i cant get a red guy to walk through dodgeballpawnblue (blocking volumes)
Rampart

Post by Rampart »

okay... last 2 questions...

Is it feasible for there to be overlap in the playing arena? like is it possible to make the blocking volumes such that there is sort of a no-man's land zone between each of the areas? (between each of the pitches, the pitch and the out-zone, etc.) where both teams can both move, so there is overlap. Or are there special traits assigned to the zones, and doing something like that would fux things up. (example: ball cannot be in boths halves in Deathball.)

And also, is it possible to have a map where instead of the walk-way for the people whoa re out being against the back wall, its between the two pitches? It would be interesting for the blocking, but what I'm thinking about is then being able to slide the back wall in to contract the arena... (as opposed to the 4 contract idea above)
BL44T

Post by BL44T »

Dodgeball pwnz.. but MA pwnz harder :D
The_One

Post by The_One »

Maegrim wrote: ideal for lamers to kill their teammates

the freezing isn't surely?
you could be replacing one set of lamers with another, sure, but it's worth a thought.
Rens2Sea

Post by Rens2Sea »

night wrote: and who made movement ?

i cant figure out why in hell dodgeballpawnred works (stops red, lets blue through) but the blue one wont. i cant get a red guy to walk through dodgeballpawnblue (blocking volumes)

That is because the bots cheat :o
They can walk thru blockingvolumes that stops dodgeball_pawnblue or red...

@ Rampart "(example: ball cannot be in boths halves in Deathball.)"

DodgeBall doesn't use ANY of the Deathball zones/volumes, the longshots options doesn't even do anything. :p
night

Post by night »

hmmm... i mean unless its some instant action thing, just playing myself, no bots. if i am blue i can walk through the pawnred.
if change to red, i cant walk through pawn blue.

this is the only thing about the map, i really dont wanna put it out if it really is like that online. i just dont have a way to test it online yet.
Rens2Sea

Post by Rens2Sea »

Hmm, are you sure you set the blocking volume correct?

But yes, you can test it online.
Host a dedicated game, giving it a good pass.
Then just host your own game.
That's the way i test the reconnect stuff...