The time kill and other concerns

Everything about Death Ball.

Moderators: Jay2k1, DavidM, The_One

theberkin8or

Post by theberkin8or »

it seems this issue has grouped ppl that don't normally argee together... i think it is clear that a team could play keep away for most of the game, i am willing to bet that we in NA can put together a team that does just that and is able to win a majority of their games.

the thing is you can't play a fast paced style against a possesion team, you just don't get the ball enough to score, which is ok, teams should have different styles of play, but when it gets to the point that a team can hold the ball 70 or more of the game against a very skilled team then i think it has gone to fair, i think that doing one or possibly both of two things will force a little more action in the game with out making either style of play unusable (btw as i see it there are two styles of play in db possession ball/keepaway and boost), you should either make it so that keep/last man back can not recieve the ball with out it reseting to the other team's keeper (thus making sure you can force a number advatange with your keeper, which imo is just not fun), or you should make there be a time limit in your own half at the end of which the ball resets to the other team's keeper.

one other idea that hasn't been meantion yet is a time limit for anyone player to hold the ball, this could be interesting and fairly unproblematic as there is very little reason why a person should hold the ball for more than a min. this way if the other team is trying to force numbers on your team, you can just mark up and wait for the player to either make a pass or just have the ball reset to you. this also has the advantage of not destorying possession ball just destoring possesion by one man ball.

one of the biggest difference between soccer and db is the amount of players on the field, a one man advatage in numbers in much more important in db than in soccer becuase there are so many ppl on the field so going after the man in soccer isn't nearly as damaging to the team. also passing is much easer in db which makes possesion ball much easer.

until you decide to fix this problem i predict a new movement to a more possetion style which i think will hurt the fun of the game
Psyche

Post by Psyche »

Surge wrote:

And David M. What RusH did last night was passed to Psyche (their keeper) where he took a few steps forward, outside the pbox, forcing an attacker to go after the ball and when they did he would pass the the now open defender. Tell me how the ball resets.

Surge, I really think you need to watch the demo, there was maybe one time I did what you say above, the rest of the time I was sitting there doing not a thing in the world, and never touching the ball, get your facts straight plz.

Also feel free to check out the possession percentages on the screenshot, 58% to 42% is hardly us controlling the ball by wasting time the whole game, I have no doubt we could have controlled it 70% plus if we played the way you claim.

So again, if you don't like the game anymore, don't bitch, don't make accusations, just quit, thats all you need to do, and your frustrations will be over. I know if I felt the way you do in your posts on these forums, I just would move on to another game, or back to BR or CTF.
Last edited by Psyche on 14-04-2003 21:54, edited 1 time in total.
Chrisfu

Post by Chrisfu »

Surge wrote: In soccer when the keeper kills time i tend to walk over to him and punch him in the face when hes holding the ball for too long or his teams killing time.
Yeah, and then I'd bet you get the shit kicked out of you. :P In case you didn't already notice, anyone holding the ball in the penalty area has a time limit in which they must get rid of the ball. This can't be circumvented.

If you can't deal with their playing style, it means you were PWNED, not that they were "being lame". Passing around means one thing: they're looking for a weakness, and that's a sign of a team that has their shit together. Judging by your bitching, I assume that they found a weakness and exploited the hell outta it.

Good for them.
Last edited by Chrisfu on 14-04-2003 22:57, edited 1 time in total.
nameless

Post by nameless »

I would have written it way different, but chrisfu is right...
Fornoth

Post by Fornoth »

Surge...

The fact is your lieing about the game. Did you guys record a demo? Whoops against the rules! :ban: Ahh well I did - and I can tell you they definintly weren't "wasting time". Also - last time RusH Blue played SoP you guys definitly tried to time waste; no biggy - you play man on man and oh WE got many chances with it! Sorry you guys weren't even considereing pressuring man to man - try it next time you might find it useful. Everything else has been said.

For those that care about the demo

The Demo <<-- Yes I have funny naming styles ; but its really the match!
theberkin8or

Post by theberkin8or »

wow, i was exspecting a least a little wasting of time, but i only say true wasting of time once or twice even in the last five min.
what the crap are you talking about surge? i

but that being said this IS still a problem that needs to be fixed
Psyche

Post by Psyche »

Thank you for viewing the Demo Berk, I knew you were one who will always give his honest opinion.
an_old_man

Post by an_old_man »

Whats the big deal, just take the ball from them. If you can't get the ball from them...then...well...try harder.
Last edited by an_old_man on 15-04-2003 02:05, edited 1 time in total.
Surge
Banned

Post by Surge »

From a offesive standpoint almost the entire gay was killing time, infact if yopu were watching in about the last 10 minutes i even said "horay for the time kill" and got a smart remark back saying something like "horay for you teaching us it" or something along the same idea meaning they were killing time. They even admitted it mid game. Its also hard to score at all when they had 3-4 guys in the pbox at all times when we were on offense cept maybe 1-2 2v1 breaks. Tesal only saved about 2-3 goals by double keeping (which is another complaint of mine). Not blocking shots but literally saving them from inside the goal keepers box or just outside of it. Also the whole arguement about possesion time works out to approx 18 minutes you had posession and 12 we had possession. Thats 6 minutes of time kill there alone. We also go posession after each of 4 goals you had via the keeper catching it after it had gone it... so add another 30 seconds. Eachtime we spawned getting the ball first is about 10-20 seconds. and every air ball our defense vollied up trying to int passes which hang for a good 5 seconds. the actual holding the ball, the ball not being in flight or being idle is actually closer to 60% Rush 30% SoP. Watch the replay over and you'll notice this too. Thats why the possesion times arn't very accurate. Also notice after goals that if the keeper resets it the ball keeps the colored trail on it meaning more possesion time for the team that got scored on. A lot of your posession time was also from the first 15-20 minutes when you were actually scoring goals and to be quite honest if you did that the entire game i wouldnt be upset by it at all... i'd rather lose by a lot then lose to some team that resorts to killing time after they get a comfortable lead.
Psyche

Post by Psyche »

Well Surge, believe what you want, say what you want, I welcome all to view the demo Fornoth posted above and make their own determination, in my opinion, and many others from reading the posts here Surge, maybe it is time you just quit DB, cause I'm not going to be reading any more on this matter, the demo is posted, ppl can make up their own mind from here.
Goffus

Post by Goffus »

I watched the whole match and saw nothing lame from Rush. Idd they were sometimes cautious but they sure did play the game to score goals.
HooDaMuNGa

Post by HooDaMuNGa »

surge is just whiney because hes not used to getting pwned :P

but i think maybe a clock to get the ball past midfield would be good (like the 10 second clock in basketball) and then a backcourt rule (also in basketball) where you cant have the ball go back over midfield in your possession
Killing_U

Post by Killing_U »

after reviwing the game agree I w/ everyone but surge
surge:i think you should apologize
all who got mad writing their post should join in a big group hug :)
why cant we all just get along
btw: i play football and when u want to waste time, you dont rush to the huddle, and you dont set up quick, you take a knee and win :):););)
Last edited by Killing_U on 15-04-2003 00:50, edited 1 time in total.
Nordy

Post by Nordy »

Surge, you are totally off base. Even if they did slow down play a little bit, there is nothing wrong with that. It is a perfectly good technique, and if done properly you can make it so you dont get scored on (rush did it properly). And there is a way to defend it, you gotta get out of zone D and go man to man, we were in the process of it, it was just to little to late.

IMO by posting this you are giving sop a bad name. Also, for all you the people reading this, all sop does not feel this way, it is surge's perspective (so dont be hating sop for this ;) ). One more thing Surge, ONLY use teamsay during a match, i dont care what happens, what you did was totally uncalled for and will not be tollerated.
Killing_U

Post by Killing_U »

::HUGS all the ppl who posted in thread::
w still love sop (dont be hatin'!)
i dont think surge needs 67 ppl telling him his acts were wrong but for the hell of it i will be # 68

What u did was wrong surge, say ur sorries!:mad: