"No self-volley" mode screwed

Everything about Death Ball.

Moderators: Jay2k1, DavidM, The_One

Robotojon

Post by Robotojon »

would be good if somehow (mutater maybe, i dont know about ut2k4 coding) for the server to rotate through a "map list A" if there are under 6 on the server, and a "map list B" for when there are 6 or more people on a server. SC seems a good map to start a game on from scratch, get the players in, then when a tidy amount have arrived, we can play some real db (tm) with no volly only gay shit.
The_One

Post by The_One »

Robotojon wrote: then when a tidy amount have arrived, we can play some real db (tm) with no volly only gay shit.

Gotta love wishful thinking.
T3rm1n4T0r
Banned

Post by T3rm1n4T0r »

I don't understand you guys. I played all the evening on a 5vs5 server with no vo. I'm not able to say it in words how boring and lame it was. It is just no fun. You have to run and run and run and then all the newcomers that don't know when they should boost.

3vs3 VO is the best mode I have ever played in DB. It is a mode where you need a lot more skill to play well than in 5vs5. And this is the fun. Often there are unexpected situation and how a player copes with this situation shows the skill.

I really don't understand all you who dislike 3vs3 VO.
Sorry
Sixty

Post by Sixty »

You should come to our pickup channel:

#dbpickup on irc.quakenet.org for EU
#dbmixer on irc.gamesurge.net for NA

Play some pickups with experienced people, and you'll see why so many prefer non-VO.
Onge

Post by Onge »

T3rm1n4T0r wrote: 3vs3 VO is the best mode I have ever played in DB. It is a mode where you need a lot more skill to play well than in 5vs5.

I couldn't disagree more. You need to have a positional awareness and much more emphasis is placed on teamwork. Sixty gives good advice; join a pickup and play a few matches. If it's not for you then so be it, but give 5v5 a decent chance before branding it boring.
Cenotaph

Post by Cenotaph »

5on5 is actually a lot more skilled, a lot more team-based, tactical, intelligent game

3on3 VO is just spam tbh.

at least, is my opinion. if u prefer vo so be it :)
beefsack

Post by beefsack »

vo is for people who can only find enjoyment in indavidualistic play styles, and there are a lot of people with big egos around the world so it will never dissapear. some people just cant stand the lack of attention you get from good positioning and tactics and feel they need to make an indavidual impact on the game that everyone will notice by spamming goals with volleys, and feel normal shooting just doesnt have the same impact.

well, thats just what beefsack thinks :p

volley whores are attention whores
T3rm1n4T0r
Banned

Post by T3rm1n4T0r »

There are really few players that play ego and when I tell them not to ego then they won't do it. What I think makes 3vs3 such interesting and funny for me are the passes you can do due to little maps. There are often amazing passes and that makes the fun.

I'll play a few match but I propose that all people will moan on me when I play a bad pass or don't score.
Onge

Post by Onge »

T3rm1n4T0r wrote: There are often amazing passes and that makes the fun.

Trust me - this is still possible in 5v5. A full length banana pass from a keeper over the defence into the path of the attacker is impressive. You may not get as much of the ball in 5v5, but the games are infinitely more interesting...
The_One

Post by The_One »

You can have fun out on the field without the ball. Movement, positioning and marking are all interesting imo.
`Ghost`

Post by `Ghost` »

I almost quoted everything Onge said, but instead, ill just agree o/

edit: and beefsack ^^ ... forgot what the topic was now ): :offtopic:
Last edited by `Ghost` on 11-02-2005 15:13, edited 1 time in total.
Wibble

Post by Wibble »

Well, I think that there are places for both 3 on 3 and 5 on 5, and I can understand what might attract players to both. However, my argument would be that it is much easier to learn the game with a larger map, no vo, and generally more time and space to get your head around what you're doing
T3rm1n4T0r
Banned

Post by T3rm1n4T0r »

Maybe, but I learnt it on a 3vs3 VO server. I just want at least one server that has 6 slots and is VO where iI can have my fun. I'll try out other modes. Will see if I have fun.
beefsack

Post by beefsack »

just out of interest, where are you from?
T3rm1n4T0r
Banned

Post by T3rm1n4T0r »

Germany. Is my English that bad?