MSUC Final Result In

Everything about Death Ball.

Moderators: Jay2k1, DavidM, The_One

The_One

MSUC Final Result In

Post by The_One »

http://www.unrealtournament.com/ut2003/ ... t_mods.php

I guess if they intend to give someone a license they need to make sure that the winner has the technical ability to make the most of it.

Doesn't seem like there was any other criteria to me.

p.sp Long time no post. Hello.
<_Kapi_>

Post by <_Kapi_> »

:lol: :ban: :lol:
R3L!K

Post by R3L!K »

hello!
Cenotaph

Post by Cenotaph »

I must say that i'm surprised with the places of some mods, but I couldnt agree more with the results. It shows that judges don't judge according to popularity or selling possibilities but actually according to quality and good work put into the mod.

1st place - Red Orchestra
Can't argue with this, probably one of the best WW2 games out there, as real as a war experience can get in the computer.

and then, Damnation, Air Buccaneers, Metaball, Alien Swarm. Not only are these mods really fun to play, but they are also original ideas put together very well.

as far as Strike Force and Frag.Ops, well it's not like we haven't seen this type of game before. Doesnt really gives something new to the gaming world, but still they are probably more popular than the above mods. Strike Force is still too early in development to even think of winning this and Frag.Ops, well, i just don't like the gameplay of that mod, tbh.
The_One

Post by The_One »

Would have been nice to see originality win through (Air Buccaneers).
beefsack

Post by beefsack »

bl deathball <3

actually i would have loved AB to have won, now we just have to pay money for a boring mod
aevirex

Post by aevirex »

it was obvious that RO will win, but the other ones...well the thing is, they dont have the right feeling.
when i play them i know that they are JUST mods(i dont have the feeling to play a game).
and imo, all mods(except a few) feel that way...just not right, worng, wrong-balanced, too slow, too fast, weapon sounds, all these reasons make such mods boring.

now db: in a non-db-playing mind, db is too simple. they are wrong, this is all i can say.

(i think my english sucks)
fro

Post by fro »

after all the pimping ro got from epic over the last few months this was inevitable, but not to take it away from the ro team, its a very nicely rounded mod, and i hope they choose to use the engine to build a full retail game around what they have already.
Catalyst88

Post by Catalyst88 »

Aye, RO is probably the most professionally run mod team in the competition, that was probably a factor. To be honest I'm impressed with what they do from that pov, I just prefer DB as a game :). It's good that there was some originality up there as well though.

Anyone else betting on the mod scene dying down again after all that's over? ;)
DavidM

Post by DavidM »

db needs more ww2 and more counterstrike tbh! that would be a lot more creative and ground breaking :)
Onge

Post by Onge »

With the MSUC all done and dusted no more DB releases will need to be rushed, we could have maps with static meshes and go back to the UT2K4 skins. Yeah, like that'll ever happen!
Catalyst88

Post by Catalyst88 »

DavidM, if you look at the breakdown, it would be sensible to aswsume they wanted to give the lisence to someone who'd do well with it, and RO won because it's seen as the most professionally run mod, the other top prize winners are all pretty original, and you only start reaching the realism mods after a few original ones... you can't expect every original mod to be successful, why do you think companies are so fond of releasing games that're basically rehashes of old gameplay? ;)
Cenotaph

Post by Cenotaph »

From my point of view DB is not there for the same reason than Strike-Force, too early in development :P

You probably think im crazy right now, but what is DB? a real simple multiplayer game with a Single Player bugged like fuck :S
It has only one model. It has only one gametype with few maps.

Still, DB is fun, more fun than most of mods not to say every mod, but i can't see how a game like DB can go retail.
Inphidel

Post by Inphidel »

Yeah, I had a feeling deathball wouldn't get rated to high. Red Orchestra has some of the old Mod Makers of Day of Defeat (halflife) one of my personal most favorite multiplayer games i ever played.

while the move from hl to unreal engine just didn't feel right, the game itself is well designed, and the concepts in the game are pretty fun.

If deathball didn't have such a steep learning curve it'd probably be alot more popular and liked.

sad to not even see deathball get on the top 5 :<

--
DavidM - I saw your planning on making nets bigger. That might help but create a problem with pubs and new ppl getting stuck in net (too easy to score hard to keep)

any plans on making the pbox area a little bigger to help compensate so shots will come from further out?

i'd highly recommend a keeperbot mode servers could use to spawn bots that only play keeper for each team so noobs have a place to go and not get ranted on for not staying in goal. when i say mode. a server option that can be voted on and off.
DavidM

Post by DavidM »

Catalyst88 wrote: DavidM, if you look at the breakdown, it would be sensible to aswsume they wanted to give the lisence to someone who'd do well with it

epic wanted to do something different, but in the end they never did what they claimed at first. they said it wouldnt matter at all which potential the winner mod has. because you can use it for anything

well it doesnt matter, the contest failed. they looked for something creative, and the next ww2 + counterstrike loser won :)