Awesome Game

Everything about Death Ball.

Moderators: Jay2k1, DavidM, The_One

Chayton

Awesome Game

Post by Chayton »

I just got UT2004 and installed the mod and its simple awesome addictive. You guys did a great job, thanks guys.

I just hate one thing, this mod reminds me too much about the (i assume) canceled Speedball remake :(. Deathball is nearly as great as Speedball.
That why i was wondering if its maybe possible that you guys make 1 speedball arena map or even a mutator or a own mod that adds the rest from Speedball?
Rino

Post by Rino »

heheh , i already posted ur Speedball map question months ago, even becouse i was a speedball 2 fan on amiga, and i found DEathball just becouse i was looking something like speedball ...

BTW Chayton
Join #deathball #dbpickup on irc @ quakenet server

Bye
DavidM

Post by DavidM »

heh sorry
i never ever heard about speedball before we made deathball. it's just supposed to be a football variation, i guess you have to live with that :)
sergeantduke

Post by sergeantduke »

I'm out of the loop here, as I've never played/saw whatever SpeedBall. What makes it so awsomely cool?
R3L!K

Post by R3L!K »

aww man it was a classic

imagine a hockey style sport which was ultra violent and ultra fast

thats speedball...
Imaginos

Post by Imaginos »

Welcome to the sport. What part of the globe are you hailing from?
<_Kapi_>

Post by <_Kapi_> »

Welcome Chayton!!! If you have any questions just post them here and be sure to check out Inphidel's Rookie Deathball Player Guide!!
Chayton

Post by Chayton »

I played Speedball 2 also on my Amiga 500, it was awesome. Still have it but no screen where i could plug in the Amiga :(.

You dont know Speedball? Speedball was made by the Bitmap Brothers, and is considered to be one of the best sport games ever made. Speedball is a mix of handball/soccer and Rollerball (the old game style, not that from the new movie).
You played in a stadium a mix out of a Icehockey stadium. The ball was a steelball, which was shoot up into the air at the middle point, much like by basketball. You could slide into your enemy, or knock him off to gain the ball. The main goal was to get the ball into the enemies goal, but one the field there were also i think 4 stars that you could hit with the ball which gave you additional points. Four "button" that you could hit, that made the ball glow so no enemy could touch it anymore. on each side in the middle line such a small "rollercoaster" for the ball, which i think gave you also additional points, and from time to time at the ground lay special shields that you could pick up, that lead to bonus. Such when you picked up the Z all enemies felt down, which meaned you had for some time free play.
The players had skills and also a healthbar, meaning that it was possible to knock a enemy completly off and get him take away by those emergency "robots"? Which was quiet funny, most times then a guy screamed "Icecream, Icecream" if i understood it right.
Guess the sounds were important because they made that whole thing awesome funny, i still remeber each sound.

The game consisted out of several leagues (dont know how much, i never came past the second league, there i got always knocked back) and you also had to manage your team, buying players, buying equipment etc.

For my personal it is the best sport game ever released. Sure all this NHLs games are nice and some a very good, but its the sport that you can watch every day basicly in real. Having an science fiction sport gave the whole thing a great touch, which gives it a plus point, because really developers dont have to think much about the sport if they make a icehockey or soccer game, but if you develop a new sport.

As i said there was supposed to be a Speedball remake called Speedball Arena by the Bitmap Brothers, it was supposed to use the Unreal Tournament engine, but it somehow died :(.

http://www.bitmap-brothers.co.uk/downlo ... /index.htm
Here you find pics of the old game.

http://www.bitmap-brothers.co.uk/downlo ... /index.htm
That should have been the remake.

Depending that the site updating and it still states its being a future product of them, i would say that Bitmap Brothers has died.

Speedball has a lot of Rollerball in my eyes (world history etc). Which arent bad since i am a real fan of the Rollerball game (old style not new style that one sucks big)

Oh and thanks for the welcome!

PS: Btw, i may sound old because i know Rollerball and Speedball and still have a Amiga 500, but i am really just 20 years old and i am from Austria. ;)
Last edited by Chayton on 22-10-2004 23:25, edited 1 time in total.
Rino

Post by Rino »

DavidM wrote: heh sorry
i never ever heard about speedball before we made deathball. it's just supposed to be a football variation, i guess you have to live with that :)

ROOOOOOFL
Omg DavidM u fucking newbie kid afuahga'iia etc etc etc
How ... HOW!
You don't know a milestone game like speedball???
x_X
Omg ur videogame culture sux tbfh

<3 you anyway
Rino

Post by Rino »

DavidM wrote: heh sorry

ROOOOOOFL
Omg DavidM u fucking newbie kid afuahga'iia etc etc etc
How ... HOW!
You don't know a milestone game like speedball???
x_X
Omg ur videogame culture sux tbfh

<3 you anyway
priior

Post by priior »

one more time!
DavidM

Post by DavidM »

I downloaded speedball (some rom i believe) after people told me that db is like it in the very beginning. Yeah it looks like a very primitive version of deathball. But by today's standards it plays really really crap. Nostalgia might keep it living for some :)
Chayton

Post by Chayton »

Thats probably because the standart of today doesnt always mean good. For example those wanna be realistic car racing games like Need For Speed Underground. Those games where much more fun if simple computer gaming realistic, like Need For Speed 2 was.
DavidM

Post by DavidM »

I mean a different aspect. Compare Dune2 with Command and Conquer or other new generation strategy games. The BIG difference is the control. You have to click every single unit, you have to select a move command from the hud, then click on the ground. And this 50 times. In the new games you pull a box and click somewhere.
Speedball feels like Dune2....sorta....in a different way :)
User interfaces have improved a lot
Onge

Post by Onge »

Speedball was never a favourite of mine. Brutal Sports Football, now that was fun. :p