RMB thoughts

Everything about Death Ball.

Moderators: Jay2k1, DavidM, The_One

Imaginos

RMB thoughts

Post by Imaginos »

Drives me up the wall that people can run around holding RMB and taking advantage of the improved radius for blocking without any penalty. What this equates to would be like running and flailing your arms.

I propose knocking the speed and jump height down to the level you would have as if you had the ball. That's a fair trade off imho..
Fo|Phoenix

Post by Fo|Phoenix »

I don't mind it as much when people are not in the p-box. The damn rmb in the p-box pisses me off. I was in 2 scrims now where we would have scored if there wasn't some fool in the box with the rmb held down. My suggestion is when a defender enters the pbox rmb would be disabled.
Morning*Star

Post by Morning*Star »

I find the random dribble-along-the-floor rmb when it's really inconvenient more annoying but oh well.
DavidM

Post by DavidM »

I asked Makush once again:

David Münnich wrote:
wasnt that the thing you fixed?
http://forums.gameservers.net/showthrea ... adid=16915

Makush:
Yep. It's fixed. I tested it now and it seems to be fixed. You tested it back then and told it was fixed.

Code looks like this - this is the only part of code in which you are able to bounce ("DoBounce"):

--- CUT ---
if ( ((bOwner) || (TouchTime() >= pickupActorPickupLatency)) && CheckBounce(A, self) )
{
// the bounce doodads
if(DoBounce(A, self))
{
return true;
}
}
--- CUT ---

Meaning that, only way to bounce ball is to hit it with smaller pickup radius ("bOwner") or when time has passed for pickupActorPickupLatency which is 0.5s....

I dunno what's up with people....
Puck

Post by Puck »

davey-poo it seems that right click holdage was reduced from the huge problem it was before but the radius still makes it larger then the regular radius of the character... please shrink dat stuff down so it either makes it the same size of the character or smaller. I have noticed it since i had a couple month lay off from db between 1.9b i came back and found out that if i shoot over someones head and they have right click on it will go whichever way it pleases(intercepted). Which shouldnt be right...either that or hair spray is the newest defender in the pbox.
fb.shev
Banned

Post by fb.shev »

well i find it annoying that i lame when i sweep :P
The_One

Post by The_One »

The problem is the fact that they're radii, not that they are too big (if that makes sense). It makes players artificially wide.

It would have been better if cylinders were used for the players but it's too late to change now.
Last edited by The_One on 30-09-2004 21:03, edited 1 time in total.
makush

Post by makush »

Pick up volume is actually a cylinder.
Imaginos

Post by Imaginos »

My intent was to point out that it gives the rmb-holding player an edge in making the pickup radius slightly larger at no cost - such as one could do with one's arms outstretched or raised high; things not done in an all out run. I'd say continue to allow this as a permitted tactic, but it shouldn't be without the cost of some speed, jumping ability or the addition of some extra drag while being boosted.
The_One

Post by The_One »

makush wrote: Pick up volume is actually a cylinder.

What about deflect and catch though? Shouldn't they be too?

I guess you could argue that using a sphere for the catch radius simulates a player reaching out to grab the ball.
Last edited by The_One on 30-09-2004 22:46, edited 1 time in total.
DavidM

Post by DavidM »

all cylinders!
the models you see have no collision
The_One

Post by The_One »

I know UT uses cylinders for player collision detection. Doesn't mean that you used them for your custom radii though. I always assumed they were spheres.

Why would makush only single out the pickup volume when stating what is currently implemented as cylinders? :o

Ah well, if you're right (I guess you must be) I've been playing under a misapprehension for nearly two years. ^^
Morning*Star

Post by Morning*Star »

I reiterate
Morning*Star wrote: I find the random dribble-along-the-floor rmb when it's really inconvenient more annoying but oh well.
The_One

Post by The_One »

I have no idea what that is. :D
Morning*Star

Post by Morning*Star »

Passing to someone in mid flight sometimes results in the pass not going as high as you would expect it to, but rather go low. I'm guessing it's to prevent people from doing that jump over the ball from behind and volley move (which can still be done)