Unreal Tournament 2004 CE: Deathball Players

Everything about Death Ball.

Moderators: Jay2k1, DavidM, The_One

Ashleh

Unreal Tournament 2004 CE: Deathball Players

Post by Ashleh »

Unreal Tournament 2004 CE, is coming out late September.

As we all know, Deathball will be included in this version. Having said this, many more players will buy this.

Question/s: David, is there an in/out game manual for new players?

If everything goes accoriding to plan, there will be a lot of new deathball players. In the state that deathball is in atm, i predict we will lose 50-60% of new players. There has to be a planned league ( not so far away in time ), community needs to stop spamming and, this "Ego" < i dont mean ingame ego.. i mean "I > U" stuff.

So more organisation is needed, im willing to help out in anyway i can, but like i said im sure something has to be done. #dbpickup seems to be a major part for all expereinced Deathball players, is there anyway David you can advertise this in game? (future versions) .

Also anouther question:

David: UT2004 CE comes out in late September, we hope to have 2.3 out by then, we 'll try to conform 2.1 and 2.3. So 2.1ers can join 2.3 servers. But I will have to leave maps untouched for this. Code and textures can be conformed, but maps is difficult...

What does this mean? 2.3 = 2.1, whats the point in making it 2.3 then.. Or will there be gameplay changes in which, the 2.3 players will be diffrent to 2.1 players.. which they can both use the same server, and play with each other.. Im quite lots on this point m8.

I concider myself exellent in promotion and advertising.. give me a shot.. what is there to loose?
Last edited by Ashleh on 07-09-2004 22:49, edited 1 time in total.
Messy

Post by Messy »

It will mean that 2.3 is backwards compatible with 2.1 :)

Textures and code can be updated, meaning even though 2.3 is 'the way it's meant to be played', 2.1 players will have old clientside stuff and older textures, but they can still play DB on 2.3 'out of the box'.

Please correct me if I'm wrong ;p (I don't know how UT code works..hell I hardly know how HTML works :|)
Ashleh

Post by Ashleh »

Well it seems its the only logical explanation... but had got me thinking... Im more interested in the community.. approch to new players.. Isnt new players the key to a better deathball? more clans, more leagues, more players!
StRaFe

Post by StRaFe »

2004 ce? wt where have i been :|
R3L!K

Post by R3L!K »

i think time would be better spent making sure the next version is stable, playable and mostly bugfree.

Make the update procedure as easy as possible and things should be fine.

I have a strong feeling that trying to make 2.3 conform with 2.1 will end up introducing a whole bunch of new bugs and will also be a complete waste of effort (since people will need to eventually update to 2.4 right?)

Theres no need to patronise new players. Most people know that updating is necessary to play online so whats the point in trying to make things backwardly compatible.

Frankly there's more important issues to deal with.
Ashleh

Post by Ashleh »

ok i wish i didnt mention the 2.1 - 2.3 situation, please reply about the community? This bit of my post:

Unreal Tournament 2004 CE, is coming out late September.

As we all know, Deathball will be included in this version. Having said this, many more players will buy this.

Question/s: David, is there an in/out game manual for new players?

If everything goes accoriding to plan, there will be a lot of new deathball players. In the state that deathball is in atm, i predict we will lose 50-60% of new players. There has to be a planned league ( not so far away in time ), community needs to stop spamming and, this "Ego" < i dont mean ingame ego.. i mean "I > U" stuff.

So more organisation is needed, im willing to help out in anyway i can, but like i said im sure something has to be done. #dbpickup seems to be a major part for all expereinced Deathball players, is there anyway David you can advertise this in game? (future versions) .
The_One

Post by The_One »

R3L!K wrote: I have a strong feeling that trying to make 2.3 conform with 2.1 will end up introducing a whole bunch of new bugs and will also be a complete waste of effort (since people will need to eventually update to 2.4 right?)

I agree totally. I don't think it's a good idea at all.
-plær-

Post by -plær- »

it also makes writing cheat-clients a hell of a lot easier
FL-

Post by FL- »

I believe what he means is 2.3 will be out by then and when the people with Deathball 2.1 see that all the servers are running 2.3, they will download it (and it will be a seamless upgrade).
The_One

Post by The_One »

No, that's not what he means. :)
FL-

Post by FL- »

Well I'm going to love seeing this get pulled off (allowing 2.1 client to play on 2.3 servers).

And considering I'm helping contribute code now, I guess I'll have an inside look at it.
Ashleh

Post by Ashleh »

Talk about the community please, not .. the versions :)
FL-

Post by FL- »

If the community wants this CE launch to be successful, they are going to have to knock the chips off their shoulders.

There needs to be a nice written, definitive manual available online. There also needs to be a good place for them to find tips and strategies (these are around, but they need to be linked from the Deathball site).

As far as the league, they will be somewhat patient with it for a while I'm sure, but eventually you'll need a well thought out league design with enough competition to keep everyone happy.
Last edited by FL- on 08-09-2004 13:21, edited 1 time in total.
Sixty

Post by Sixty »

Promote dbpickup = no.

It's for the pro's, the chan would turn into a noob fest, with all the pros leaving the scene or stop adding/running pickups.
StRaFe

Post by StRaFe »

indeed but so then... how do you become a "pro". a trial, stfu sixty everyone is welcome ffs:p