Pub Play vs Match Play

Everything about Death Ball.

Moderators: Jay2k1, DavidM, The_One

FL-

Pub Play vs Match Play

Post by FL- »

I first started playing Deathball around a week ago (so 2.1 was my first version). I play mainly on the BuD server, which is great except for the long load times between map changes. Anyway.

When playing in Pub there are always open shots and players left wide open for volleys. I'm not a very good at volleying shots, but I'm decent at making good passes (using both charged and RMB). I realize I have a long way to go in the experience department, but I wanted to try a match game.

I decided I'd try to play against bots. I put 11 bots in with me, all their skills were 'adept' (or something like that). They were very tough to play against. Hardly ever were there open shots, the defense shadowed you constantly and if you were open, it was never at an angle you could shoot from (or atleast I could shoot from). Both games ended 1-1, and I had the assists for both our goals.

Is that how match play is? Extremely tight defense, low scoring?
Last edited by FL- on 31-08-2004 16:24, edited 1 time in total.
Inphidel

Post by Inphidel »

Kind of, those humans make more misakes due to overconfidence or under estimating etc..

if your interested in a match type game play a mixer (pug) pick up game.. if your in north america, irc.gamesurge.net #dbmixer.

i'm not sure of the other ones but i'm sure someone will reply :)
DavidM

Post by DavidM »

Forget bot play. normal matches are nothing like it. beacause bots attacking is still awful. you are pretty much on your own in botmatch.

as inph said, play pickups with them, that will show you more like it, but i warn you, those NA guys are sooo ego in attack :)
FL-

Post by FL- »

I've been playing with a lot of egoists on the BuD and WKD servers. As long as they let me in a pickup game, I think I can learn some things. I'll just ignore any comments that aren't constructive. I'll try to jump in there tonight and get in a game, but I'm worried that being a new player will get me more grief than play time.
DavidM

Post by DavidM »

whenever i play in a NA match its like pubbing

people dont care about defense, people are all egos, talking all teh time etc

dunno, quite horrid
noobs will feel at home, cuz people there arent really better or something
Inphidel

Post by Inphidel »

FL- wrote: I've been playing with a lot of egoists on the BuD and WKD servers. As long as they let me in a pickup game, I think I can learn some things. I'll just ignore any comments that aren't constructive. I'll try to jump in there tonight and get in a game, but I'm worried that being a new player will get me more grief than play time.

Its not that bad at all. there are a few , and i mean few players that get annoyed if someone new is on there team and not doing well, but there are a great deal of nice players that play pick up games that will try and help you learn more. if your at all worried. spectate a match first.

---

and DM! i havnt noticed this at all! maybe it was awhile back before i started playing pick up games :) - but now a days it is all rather organized. 99% of the time all palyers boost back, save the last man back who covers the defender at the mid point usually. :O:O:O
CorDawg
Banned

Post by CorDawg »

talking > playing
FL-

Post by FL- »

I have more questions concerning pick-up and/or official (league/ladder) games.

How many players are generally on a team? 6?

Are there specific maps that are used? If so, which?

I've heard people talk breifly about positions, mainly the sweeper. Are their 'names' for the other positions that are mostly offensive? Wings, forwards, et al.?

I feel like I could probably play a pretty good sweeper, but I'm also very good outside charging passes inside to players for scores.

Concerning defensive play, do you constantly hold down the RMB when in the penalty box to deflect any potential shots that your pawn might not catch? I've began using this tactic when going out to challenge a player not in the penalty box. Sometimes if he makes a bad pass, I'll get a piece of it which will result in a turnover.

Thanks for any help!
Orbitul

Post by Orbitul »

FL- i like your enthusiasm! Anyway don't listen to DavidM he hasnt played a NA pickup game in probably a year, not kidding. He really has no idea what our games are like.

If you go to #dbmixer on irc.gamesurge.net you will get help and by playing in pick-up games you will learn a lot. But beware it will be hard at first and an adjustment. Some ppl might give you a bad time but just get over it and keep playing you will hardly be noticed soon. (which is a good thing it means you are doing your job in-game).

Sweeper is probably a good position to try out at first, we generally just call it defense. Try to stay behind the last opposing attacker and always remember to boost your teammates up to offense when we have the ball. Study your bottom radar it will be your best friend.

Ok to answer your questions, we usually play 5 vs 5 and we play on a map called db-mixercube. When you go to the #dbmixer channel just ask for the link. The main positions are 1 keeper, 1 defense, and 3 midfield attackers (they boost back to defense and boost up to offense, back and forth).

About holding down the RMB we used to not allow it in the pbox but i think the new version fixes that problem. I don't think it's an advantage to hold it down anymore. Basically if you are in front of the player its going to bounce of you regardless of whether you hold the button down or not now, at least i think that's how it's supposed to work :)

Ok well good luck and just ask if you need help.
theberkin8or

Post by theberkin8or »

gg davidm starting to NA bash

and orb you forget to meantion the cherry picker :-p
Last edited by theberkin8or on 31-08-2004 20:08, edited 1 time in total.
XiD

Post by XiD »

Flatline I'd love to show you the ropes of mixers. Shoot me a PM on AIM/ICQ/MSN/IRC and I'll help ya out. Check my profile for info, or #dbmixer on irc.gamesurge.net (nick: Fo|XiD).
Pyr[o]

Post by Pyr[o] »

dood, cube is the standard map, borin but hey maybe the yanks do it different. 5 players to a team, 1 keeper, 1 sweeper, three mids, who all need to boos tback to help def when they lose possesion.
Catalyst88

Post by Catalyst88 »

NA games are generally more open than euro ones. I suspect that there's a lot quicker boosting forward in NA games, whereas euro teams are more defensive (NA teams push out onto the attack to defend, euro teams boxcamp). So NA games have more goals in them. The actual formations are the same though - keeper, sweeper and 3 mids.
Shev.npu
Banned

Post by Shev.npu »

keeper and midfielders =/!!!!

FL- 1-1 on adept? u must suck, try to veteranish and win on godlike.. quite easy

and join #dbpickup for some better matches :\ u will see quality players with leet skills apart from noobpass from the wall \o/ oh how fun.. NOT
FL-

Post by FL- »

XiD, I've played with you a bit on the servers. I'll stop by #dbmixers tonight if my fiance doesn't have plans for us.

Orb, can you confirm on the bounce without holding down RMB? I thought the changelog just stated he lowered the radius, not that it would 'auto-RMB' if you were standing in front of a shooting player.

Thanks to everyone who posted and answered my questions!