Pickupbot in #dbpickup / noob problem?

Everything about Death Ball.

Moderators: Jay2k1, DavidM, The_One

Goldeneye

Pickupbot in #dbpickup / noob problem?

Post by Goldeneye »

well, i've seen many people either get upset by the bot not puting them in their prefered position, because there were already enough players in this position when they joined and don't want to play then, some join a game who dont even want to play a match or deathball at all or people that were upset after a game because of a noob that had joined the game. now i want suggestions how we can get this "fixed".
NaB

Post by NaB »

kickban noobs \o/

or remove the !add command so a player can only join as a position. once each position is filled, don’t let anyone else join as that position.

so if there are 4 attackers already, !add a is disabled.

and kickban noobs \o/ (oh, i already said that)
FeEdiKo

Post by FeEdiKo »

tell the bot which players are allowed to play. and tell him (?) what position the players play on.

oh well, bad idea ... :rolleyes:
L33FY

Post by L33FY »

Make a new channel for experianced players? And for pickup do what nab said, add so only 4 can do it in attack, 4 in def and 2 keepers :/

Scrap allround :p
bURNINGrOID

Post by bURNINGrOID »

Kick/Banning, Abusing, Insulting, Harassing, and generally Sh1tting all over noobs is detrimental to DB. Everybody starts as a noob. If you chase them away from the game, the community doesn't grow. It's a pain in the ass playing with somebody who keeps volley spamming the wall and can't pass is his life depended on it, but that same guy might be pulling off sick volleys next week. Todays noob is tomorrows Player. The 'noob problem' indicates that new players are still finding DB. I hope it continues, cause this mod is cool.

You can flame me now.
DavidM

Post by DavidM »

its really pissing me off
i join the channel, type !add a
its showing the teams...me as keeper
hurray, fu*k yuo :|

it should not accept me in that situation and wait for a keeper instead
Surge
Banned

Post by Surge »

we have the same problem over @ gamesnet in our #ballers channel. We dont have a bot for this reason mainly. We usually just find 10 guys and make sure 2 of them are keeps and just let them pick teams. That bot makes it too complicated.
Chrisfu

Post by Chrisfu »

Well, I had some guy go totally mental the other day.

He added himself as an attacker, when there was already 4 in. Well, first come, first served in my book. As he was too late, I asked him to move to a different position. I was completely ignored so I moved him to D. The poor little kid went nuts, much to the amusement of everyone.

Anyway, if you're too late to get your desired position, you have a few choices:

1) Ask politely for someone to swap.
2) Play in a different position.
3) Don't play at all.

It really is that simple. The real problem is selfish people like the one above. I've played defence in pickups practically all week just to appease everyone, and to be honest I don't mind as it gives me practice against (usually) good opposition. If after all that, it's still a problem, hard-code the number of players allowed per position.

(numberofplayers - 2) / 2

5v5
(10 - 2) / 2 == 4

6v6
(12 - 2) / 2 == 5
Rhinosaur

Post by Rhinosaur »

Hi all. First post here!! Yay!
Well, I only play (poorly) on the pubs, and there never seems to be a problem playing keep or defense. Some people are sure finicky about what and where they do game on the field.
I'm not sure that the good folks at DB can or should do some more coding everytime some people exhibit a crap attitude. I mean, if everyone would be happy just to play (have a good time, the pubs are not league, but a bit more friendly competition) then this wouldn't be an issue.
I always have an insanely high ping...usually between 200~300, but am playing keep 60% of the time. I only complain if I have been keeping for all or half the game and need a break, or when I am getting pummelled. The problem is that nobody wants to stop attacking and play keep.
It's funny, because people don't want to play keep so they can score. They want to score to win. Winning means that you also disallow opponents scoring. Yet with a keep who, with a ping of 260+, has a very slim chance of stopping most kinds of volley as those shots are just too fast, isn't going to help their team win. Quite the contrary, I always feel I have let my team down.
Am I whining? Sorry....
I guess the only and best final answer is just for people to change, and if this can't happen, just kick them.
I dunno....just my 2 pennies...
Hoju

Post by Hoju »

well surge, we dont have as many n00bs on #ballers as they do in #dbpickup , so i think we should bring the bot to our side of the pond, if goldeneye or cat or whoever made it lets us have it.
Catalyst88

Post by Catalyst88 »

I reckon we should only voice "trusted" people, then have voice/op only games (maybe a list on the bot that voices when people enter). I suggested it before (in fact it was origianlly how I was gonna run the channel). BTW, it's goldy's bot, not mine, ask him :) (runs on an eggdrop server iirc)
Robotojon

Post by Robotojon »

all of the above \o/
Goldeneye

Post by Goldeneye »

yep it's a tcl script for eggdrop, though the bot in #dbpickup is a windrop ;)

hoju, what version do you want? the one currently in #dbpickup, the "classic" one with per team signup or new one when it's finished?

adding following things now:
- limit !add per position
- an autovoice system
- voice / op only games

also want to add (if i find the time to do them:)
- a skill rating system (people who played a game can rate each other afterwards)
- make random team generation dependent on these ratings
- a yellow card (for people who quit midgame for no reason, or deserve a punishment for what they did, but still should get a second chance) still don't know though what disadvantaged the owner of a yellow card has, other than just being marked for a ban next time he messes a game ;)

and finally a question:
should the bot recognize trusted players by their hostmark, username/hostmark and password or q-auth name? last would probably be the most comfortable solution, but would require everyone to have a q account and also generate quite a bunch of traffic.
Maegrim

Post by Maegrim »

- a skill rating system (people who played a game can rate each other afterwards)
that'll give a lot of low ratings :/
Bazzi

Post by Bazzi »

Goldeneye: by Q auth would be great!