i listen to por...korn \o/

:(
DavidM

Post by DavidM »

"originality"

that would turn the top 5 upside down to be honest :P
CripTonic

Post by CripTonic »

ya because theres so many games with floating hot air balloons and cannons...

*cough FIFA cough*
DavidM

Post by DavidM »

yeah, but how innovating is the gameplay of that?

oh please, can't you just be quiet? :)
Cenotaph

Post by Cenotaph »

R3L!K wrote: I am a db community member. Therefore you are calling me biased.

well, if u r a DB fanboy, then u r biased.

but that doesn't mean that if u play the game u r biased.

Some DB community members think "OMFG DB Rox0r OMG, OMFG n00b judges, 5th place OMFG"... :)

these kind of member is biased :D

im sure u understand my english language knowledge is not the best, so i often make "mistakes" like those. :)

DB is great game, and i love to play it. but for example, its hasnt got enuff content to be a Retail release. i know most of the mods havent as well :P
Twigstir

Post by Twigstir »

Deathball "original" and "innovating". Yes and no. Like everything, it draws on other things but, has some very good differences. Unfortunately, it doesn't stand apart a much as it could. The similarities stand out more than they should and that degrades the differences.

The soccer style uniforms, soccer looking goals, goals with nets inside a wall?, chalk lines, sidelines next to a wall?, a pool table, an ice rink, a soccer field, a couple of staduims, several maps that all look similar, ect...

Too much stuff looks similar to things we've seen and a lot of stuff looks like soccer. That doesn't scream out I'm orginial and innovating. It hides the things that are.

Where is the goal mesh that's futuristic. The stadium that not of this world. You need some additional setting that suggest deathball is a futuristic sport, played in a futuristic place, with futuristic players and spectators.

You just need more things that make deathball stand apart and out.
DavidM

Post by DavidM »

you're totally going the wrong way, all you see are the looks.
but nothing plays like it, not even close...
Capital_G

Post by Capital_G »

Thats the only thing tho.

These judges aren't in a clan, all they've seen is botmatches, maybe some demos, and who knows, maybe even some pubs (which would explain #5 tbfh :P)
speedy

Post by speedy »

Twigstir wrote: Deathball "original" and "innovating". Yes and no. Like everything, it draws on other things but, has some very good differences. Unfortunately, it doesn't stand apart a much as it could. The similarities stand out more than they should and that degrades the differences.

The soccer style uniforms, soccer looking goals, goals with nets inside a wall?, chalk lines, sidelines next to a wall?, a pool table, an ice rink, a soccer field, a couple of staduims, several maps that all look similar, ect...

Too much stuff looks similar to things we've seen and a lot of stuff looks like soccer. That doesn't scream out I'm orginial and innovating. It hides the things that are.

Where is the goal mesh that's futuristic. The stadium that not of this world. You need some additional setting that suggest deathball is a futuristic sport, played in a futuristic place, with futuristic players and spectators.

You just need more things that make deathball stand apart and out.
the goal mesh does not only have nets, they HAVE METAL NETS FOR EXTRA +PWNaG3

(and it's not soccer, it's real football (not the crappy american one))
Rens2Sea

Post by Rens2Sea »

From the MakeSomethingUnreal website:
Best Non-FPS Mod
Be inventive. The Unreal Engine can be used for all sorts of game types.
Let your creativity shine and design something cool that you wouldn't ordinarily see in a traditional First-Person Shooter.
I rest my case.
TEZC_Robban

Post by TEZC_Robban »

Rens wins. :)
Twigstir

Post by Twigstir »

DavidM wrote: you're totally going the wrong way, all you see are the looks.
but nothing plays like it, not even close...

You always fail to understand. "nothing plays like it" but it's hard to see that because of the looks. It plays closest to soccer and the looks do nothing but drive that home. The "nothing plays like it" is lost in the looks. If you want people to "see" deathball, then you need them to focus on new stuff and not overwhelm them with similarities.

You have the judges and new players going the wrong way. All they see are looks which strongly suggest a modified soccer game. Give them some looks so that the original and innovating aspects of deathball can shine brightly.
Last edited by Twigstir on 12-08-2004 16:33, edited 1 time in total.
The_One

Post by The_One »

Most new people coming to DB don't see it as a fooball (soccer) game, they see it as a variation of BR. This is a much much worse state of affairs and is not helped by the nearly identical ball.
Twigstir

Post by Twigstir »

Speeking of the ball, think what impression would be given if the ball model looked just like a soccer ball. Put that in for November and it would fit and be neat. Use it as the sole deathball ball and people would see soccer, soccer, soccer, no matter how innovating the gameplay is.

Take deathballs soccer looking goals. Just make a goal mesh that looks like something more Mech (similar to UT2004's Mech doorway statics but still the same size and shape as current goals). You don't need to replace the current goals, just add some maps that have a more futuristic look and feel. Deathball need some fresh looks to give off a better impression.
Last edited by Twigstir on 12-08-2004 18:21, edited 1 time in total.
Robotojon

Post by Robotojon »

These people are right ! it has been done before ! Now im off to play some first person fifa ... oh wait there isnt one - oh i remeber there is the half life soccer mod - oh wait its shit. hmmmmmm guess im playing db after all.