Moderators: Jay2k1, DavidM, The_One

sergeantduke

DB-Vortex Release!

Post by sergeantduke »

Title: Vortex
Version: 2.00
Author(s): Steve-O and SergeantDuke
Extended Description:
A circular arena, spiked goal zones, and jump-pads to an upper level combine to make this one DeathBall arena you're not likely to forget... or forgive. Spirits haunt this old 18th century temple of the occult, where the souls of human sacrifices stir restlessly. Only by scoring goals may these wretched souls finally be at peace.

Changes from v1.00:
-Changed layout of middle
-replaced jump-pads with gravity volume
-goal sizes decreased
-other itsy-bitsy fixes and changes
-took out the ball so all you can do is boost people around \o/

Download:
http://www.pcgamemods.com/6247/

Screenshots: :rolleyes:

Feedback and constructive critisism appreciated. \o/
Last edited by sergeantduke on 19-07-2004 23:50, edited 1 time in total.
CripTonic

Post by CripTonic »

get better screen shots :P
Steve-O

Post by Steve-O »

i can prolly take a few screenshots lol sergeants are always dark! and delapitated!
sergeantduke

Post by sergeantduke »

It's a dark map jeez, give me a break. :confused: I've updated the screenshots - they're still dark, but at least they're bigger. So basically it will take longer to load something you won't be able to see anyway. \o/
:noob:
Steve-O

Post by Steve-O »

Ok well i took some screenshots real quick not sure how good they are though, but here they r!
DavidM

Post by DavidM »

its a black experience, jeezus!

only saw the radar in the screenshots.
and from my experience, complex maps like this ruin deathball. give it a cube or something simple, and let deathball do the gameplay. don't try to make the gameplay with the map, or you will ruin it
RaGe|DB

Post by RaGe|DB »

DavidM wrote: its a black experience, jeezus!

. give it a cube or something simple,

...In other words, let david make it!

ps. i like it \o/
Messy

Post by Messy »

Wasn't there already a thread for this? õ_Ô
Steve-O

Post by Steve-O »

no lol that was my thread before i left... and i thot he was just gonna put it in the forums as an attachment, so i closed the other thread... :O stupid me! but no that was just the basic outline of a level, and davidm... no i played it, it doesnt ruin gameplay, and like i said before ALL U LIKE IS CUBES let other people say what they think, we all already know thats all you like!
RaGe|DB

Post by RaGe|DB »

Steve-O wrote: no i played it, it doesnt ruin gameplay, and like i said before ALL U LIKE IS CUBES let other people say what they think, we all already know thats all you like!

db- ........TOUCHDOWN!

...ouch :p
Imaginos

Post by Imaginos »

I haven't tried it yet, but I will. However, I do have to agree with what davidm says. Deathball and its gameplay go hand in hand. It's an open field game of passing, blocking, shooting and defending. It's not about the maps or the models/skins.

And on that note, I'll try out your new map.
Steve-O

Post by Steve-O »

i'm sick of square maps, i mean sure if it ruins gameplay dont use it, but at least make a circle map or something .. yea his deathball n gameplay do go hand in hand but a little change cant hurt, besides worst case scenario, it isnt played often, jeez.
sergeantduke

Post by sergeantduke »

I have to admit, I'm not great when it comes to gameplay. /o\ I did this map mainly for fun, asI haven't done a creepy, pseudo-horror map since Doom2. I must agree that cube maps suit gameplay the best, but I enjoy taking different approaches, to see what works and what doesn't.
Imaginos

Post by Imaginos »

Yes, I get a little preachy sometimes, sry.. Wasn't meant as a personal statement. Just reinforcing daddy deathball's comment with some explanation as to where the spirit of the game truly lies and distinguishes it as superior to things like bombing run.

BTW, Vortex is up and available for play on BuD Server.

Comment - the goalsize? Yikes! I actually got the ball stuck in the spikes and a bot went to get it out and owngoaled! Radar being off a little could be tweaked.. Don't feel pressured to kick out a map in haste.

Anyway, enough botmatch for me. I'll go try it live.
Steve-O

Post by Steve-O »

:D well thanks for loading it onto a server, i am getting some feedback from players that were on that server and i will try to edit it though i'm not sure i'll ever release it because version 2 is almost never dl'd because people think its usually just a flop if you redo it..