How to not scare away noobs?

Everything about Death Ball.

Moderators: Jay2k1, DavidM, The_One

sergeantduke

Post by sergeantduke »

:noob:

I was wondering if just spectating a few games with experienced players would help me transition from botmatches to online play. I don't know if Deathball servers allow spectating or not, but I'd definitely like to try. I'm almost done with finals now, so I've got some time to kill. \o/
Catalyst88

Post by Catalyst88 »

Come to #dbcommunity or #dbpickup on Quakenet IRC (irc.quakenet.org) and ask around, i'm sure we can let you spec a few games :). Also, if you want to get the demo we recorded last night from the db community site. If you can ignore the fireworks going off all the time then there's some nice gaming there. Welcome to the community :)
Inphidel

Post by Inphidel »

yup all servers aroudn i'm pretty sure allow specing. if your in the USA check out BUD, RUSH, or UFO server.
Imaginos

Post by Imaginos »

Amen brother! Come to the light! Plenty of spectator room on BuD. If you see 12 players in there, hit spectate anyway. There's room for 6 pairs of eyes, so come on down.
f1end

Post by f1end »

Had some great games last night till the early hours with a few new players (and some old 1's)...there were enough of us who knew how to play to get the others to understand a few things, like boosting, volleys, STAY IN GOAL!!!! etc.

Great fun, close games, <3 123/4 server... <3 2.0
PHiLø

Post by PHiLø »

yes i enjoy the new players, most of them try out new things and get a bbetter understanding of the game and when they see people doing good volley shots i think it encourages them 2 say, i want 2 be like that' aqnd train harder, but sadly most new players dont talk, its good 2 see new people in deathball :) long live newages
1234SamY

Post by 1234SamY »

f1end wrote: Had some great games last night till the early hours with a few new players (and some old 1's)...there were enough of us who knew how to play to get the others to understand a few things, like boosting, volleys, STAY IN GOAL!!!! etc.

Great fun, close games, <3 123/4 server... <3 2.0

Was fun indeed, except you kept scoring on me :P

Anyway - another way to help new players have more fun is to volunteer for goal more often, or just stick back in defence while the newbies have a go up front.

Probably nothing worse than a newbies first game being stuck in goal and being shouted at when they wander out (maybe because they arnt familiar with db pub etiquette).
f1end

Post by f1end »

idd...

hell I even went in goal for a bit, and I'm still worse than most of the n00bs
Onge

Post by Onge »

A key thing is to encourage. Say 'nice' when a noob scores, congratulate them for good passes, decent saves, solid defending and all that. Although nothing will be that nice to vets, the noobs will soon understand what is good DB play. It'll also go someway to quashing the bad publicity the community as a whole gets...
DavidM

Post by DavidM »

bind something to "nice!", and spam it whenever they pass, etc, but dont encourage wall-self-volleys and other lame shit
Dazlin

Re: How to not scare away noobs?

Post by Dazlin »

DavidM wrote:
Don't try to impress em, that's hopeless, just depresses them.

when i was a noob when i saw some of the amazing volleys, all i wanted to do was get good enough to do them.... o_O

it motivated me :o
CeeBeeUK

Re: Re: How to not scare away noobs?

Post by CeeBeeUK »

Dazlin wrote: when i was a noob when i saw some of the amazing volleys, all i wanted to do was get good enough to do them.... o_O

it motivated me :o
Not if they were scored past you while you were in goal or defence and you're being ChatSpammedtm to death for losing points.
l33t_DB_player
gg nOOb, ffs stay in goal

etc, etc, etc :confused:
Messy

Post by Messy »

I <3 staying back on defense for new players :D

Maybe at least *some* people will finally start respecting me as a sweep ;p

..might even think I'm reasonably skilled ^_^ teeheee
moby323

Post by moby323 »

Do not make new players play goalie. NOONE enjoys being embarrassed.

DOnt use suppressive tactics like always hitting them away when they are trying to come upfield.

Complement them, even if you score what is basically a break away goal, say "Nice pass" the the guy who first gave you the ball.

I agree about not always passwording your server. Way to high a % of DB servers have PW
Rino

Post by Rino »

Original posted by DavidM
bind something to "nice!", and spam it whenever they pass, etc, but dont encourage wall-self-volleys and other lame shit
Ahye! I've just binded These:

"WTF are u doing Fucking NEwbie"
"Ready for Broomstrick"
"Wall pass khtx"
"Go to play Pac-Man"

:noob: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
when i was a noob when i saw some of the amazing volleys, all i wanted to do was get good enough to do them.... o_O

You are still noob Dazlin :))))) Even if i totally agree with you,
looking at pro players and their volley i wanted get better!

The best thing is let them partecipe to the gameplay, pass them, build an action with em and in the end of all, finish the set with a leet volley goal.... better if passed by the newbie :)
Just don't be ego and don't insult \ blame them.... try to expalin basically (pass , shot, BOOST) the other things will come :)
Last edited by Rino on 10-06-2004 04:59, edited 1 time in total.