Streaker

couple points

Post by Streaker »

1). Be polite. Dont put people down verbally if they arent very good. Everyone
was a NOOB at some point in time.
2). Encourage people and offer them pointers without being a "know it all."
3). let them score a little when they are on offense and let them stop you when
u are on offense.
4). Dont run up the score/score at will on them.
5). Try to stay with them for a few games on the same team to build up a little
camaraderie. Be the "cool guy that shows em the ropes."

Streaker
Scotteh

Post by Scotteh »

try to play as many reg games as possible and try to stay away from vo games so that the new people can see what db is really like and how much fun it can be to work with a team together.
Inphidel

Post by Inphidel »

\o/
Koning_Floris

Post by Koning_Floris »

- More Pubs would be good, or at least more players in them. In the "old days", there were always pubs with good games in them, and not only smallcube games. But also real tactical games.

- When a n00b enters a VO game. Let em play REG for a few goals. n00bs simply cant volley, and learning how is pretty hard at first. So let em get happy with scoring to bind them and then tell them only to volley.
RaGe|DB

Post by RaGe|DB »

Messy wrote: I've got my db-community + irc.quakenet.org spam-bind ready ;)

And yeah, remember your first time scoring :)

The rush of adrenaline as you got killed and your weak shot let out a load of firework and a screaming crowd, after 15 minutes you have just scored against what had thusfar been known to you as the best keeper you've ever seen, you might have even got hit by a defender.

You catched a pass you never thought you would have, and after a miserable attempt or two..it finally happened \o/

Crowd roaring through your speakers, volume up...you slowly lift up your hands and let out a faint cheer :D
That's when you're sold: this game rules!

Catchy....:D

AAAAAAAAAAANyway. I do remember my first goal, it was even vs a tbp keeper (if one remember this clan), before I did anything, I was reading the manual and did offline play for some time, then I got online, got on irc and even in my first match, I scored!! (I r such a hero, shame I can't score now :() it wasnt a volley, nor a nice one, it was an overload which actually got in, how sexy is that?!

gg
f1end

Post by f1end »

What amuses me, is playing with the new n00bs, and getting told "duh, right-click is pass...OMG n00b!!!!", after curving a lovely cross just infront of some1, who missed it, cos they were too n00by to volley it /o\

Anyway...just be nice, boost them lots in any direction (so they get the idea it's faster than running), PASS!!!!!

1 last thing...try to keep teams even...it's no fun when u get on a public server, and it's pX, DEUS, sD & D@MN v's 5 Random n00bs.
Onge

Post by Onge »

I don't like to see clan members vs noobs. When I was clanless this annoyed me the most. Just because a player doesn't wear a tag doesn't mean he's no good...
Last edited by Onge on 08-06-2004 13:35, edited 1 time in total.
Imaginos

Post by Imaginos »

Not much I can add here, just tone down the aggressive level of play, and let the rookies take point. I try to mostly pass to people I haven't seen before so they get ball time and therefore have something in the way of an experience.

Regulars and vets, the urge to show off is pretty overpowering, sure, but let the new peeps have a go at it.
Inphidel

Post by Inphidel »

i've been really pleasantly suprised that 99% of the time all NA servers are doing REG. i've seen one server in VO mode which was sorta a downer, but i think it was euro :O
Armagon

Post by Armagon »

There were three DB noobs (Neoduck, Anarkist and [F]Trelos) on our server today. Cirian, Homer and myself gave them some training. Neoduck, who is based in Australia seemed to enjoy it a lot. Anarkist seemed to enjoy it a lot too, but sadly he was overseas so I don't expect to see him on our server regularly. As for [F]Trelos, I'm not sure I had to leave for dinner just as Cirian started training him.

The Australian DB Community lives again! \o/
Last edited by Armagon on 08-06-2004 15:19, edited 1 time in total.
Requiem``

Post by Requiem`` »

less vo server, noobs dunno how to shoot... so if they have to volley... :confused:
-plær-

Post by -plær- »

Armagon wrote:
The Australian DB Community lives again! \o/

Yay!
Panda

Post by Panda »

Armagon wrote: The Australian DB Community lives again! \o/

Good to hear. We'll be doing a lot of pimping for the Australian DB community (and more specifically the Beginners' Event) from June 12th onwards at http://www.db-community.com
Messy

Re: couple points

Post by Messy »

Streaker wrote: 1). Be polite. Dont put people down verbally if they arent very good. Everyone
was a NOOB at some point in time.
2). Encourage people and offer them pointers without being a "know it all."
3). let them score a little when they are on offense and let them stop you when
u are on offense.
4). Dont run up the score/score at will on them.
5). Try to stay with them for a few games on the same team to build up a little
camaraderie. Be the "cool guy that shows em the ropes."

Streaker

Philo was pretty much doing exactly the opposite of all of those yesterday :x

Anyway, nice points :) although a bit extreme ;) 3 isn't a good thing to show them the ropes! although you should try your best individually to give them enough chances to score.

And #4 is good for impressing, which is definitely one of the things I fell in love with in deathball when I first played it: idols being created.
R3L!K

Re: How to not scare away noobs?

Post by R3L!K »

DavidM wrote: Ok, not moaning at them should be well known by now...

I just wanted to say, let noobs score goals, that will motivate them so much.
Don't try to impress em, that's hopeless, just depresses them.
For new players there is nothing better than scoring goals (the more players who are on the server, the better, because more people watched them score ;) )

feel free to post other ideas

do own goals count?:lol: