Post your DB ideas here! \o/

Everything about Death Ball.

Moderators: Jay2k1, DavidM, The_One

fro

Post by fro »

for me, db is all about flow, from one end to the next without stopping. i dont like the idea of 'freekicks', we already have the superpowerfast shot that allows rediculous shooting (esp on smaller maps, hi november). A close game shouldnt be 10-9, it should be 2-1.

for def and keeps, 2.0 is an improvement over 1.9b, but its still unbalanced. I, nor any of the top 6 or so defs can do that much against 2 atts anyway, and with the prevailance of the increasing advantages of att, this brings more wannabe atts, the number of defs who can actually slow the progress of 2 atts whilst your team boosts back will drop with each revision. 2c.

oh, and adren also is a sucky idea. may is stop having ideas month :)
Weisso

Post by Weisso »

if there are two attackers and one d, then it shouldn't be easy to stop them, they earned the odd-man rush, and shouldn't have to worry about the attack being killed because of some balancing factors.

the fact that there is an odd man rush to begin with is the fault of the other teams attackers for either A) not blocking the boosts or B) not boosting back fast enough

if anything, the d covers one man, and the keeper covers the other, but the earned rush shouldn't be killed because people think it's unbalanced.

-Weiss
priior

Post by priior »

i a sweeper.. and i think it;s pretty balanced for sweeps right now.. except for that stupid volley delay.. which prevents me from intercepting passes... coupled withthe tiny radius which makes the ball feel like it goes thru me..

much better in db2.0 tho.. so a non issue.

froste: to be honest.. a 10-9 game is 10039483 times more fun to play than a 2-1 game. the attackers are having fun scoring.. the defence and keep and having a challenge..

even tho i am sweep.. making the sweep/attacker balanced is not a great idea imo.. attacker should be slightly more advantaged (on equal to equal situations.. 1on1 2on2 etc..) this will create more scoring opportunities.. which in turn will attract more players to db.
Onge

Post by Onge »

priior wrote: froste: to be honest.. a 10-9 game is 10039483 times more fun to play than a 2-1 game. the attackers are having fun scoring.. the defence and keep and having a challenge..

I couldn't disagree more. The defence and keep aren't having a challenge, they're being overpowered or utterly outplayed. The ultimate challenge for a keep and sweep is to keep a clean sheet. Games that have few goals are superb, tense affairs where everyone raises their game as one goal could make all the difference. All my most memorable games were low scoring ones. Goalfests are rubbish, but generally speaking all attackers want to score lots of goals and would all complain and all day long if low scoring games became the norm.
RaGe|DB

Post by RaGe|DB »

priior wrote:

froste: to be honest.. a 10-9 game is 10039483 times more fun to play than a 2-1 game. the attackers are having fun scoring.. the defence and keep and having a challenge..

Damn, this is not true... a 10-9 game is beyond shit since its not a challenge for keepers and defenders, like Onge said they are overpowered. a 2-1 result mostly is thanks to good mids, a proper keep and a def that knows what he is doing. now THAT is a challenge, the attackers will miss about 5 chances before they score anyway and this results in more fun. the keepers are having fun from saving, the attackers get more joy when they score 1 good goal after alot of trying then 10 goals after no effort at all and the defenders get joy from stopping them. yesterday we had this kind of match 3-2 vs BK in a long time of goldengoal.

the pickup team was proper for once and we all had fun.
DavidM

Post by DavidM »

2:1 > 10:9

new shot isnt a supershot, and it aint ridiculous or anyhting, it just forces the def to get out instead of pbox camping

and 1 def shall not have a chance against 2 attackers if they do a good job.
[1234]Jr

Post by [1234]Jr »

You know what'd help 2 (or even 3) Vs 1's?

No, not more boostin and better teamwork (which does help) but the shake on the pass.

It's stupid 3v1, 2v1 or 3v2 because if u close them down - doing exactly what you want em to do David, and you hit them, they can pass to the unmarked man. Not if you shake their pass!!!!11111111

I dunno, just chipping in ;)
Messy

Post by Messy »

DavidM wrote: i was talking about free kicks, not penalty (1on1)
Penalties will be added (ice hockey style and normal football ones)

w00h! Pressure + Messy = bad :D great idea though.

And as for the keeper/ballspawn thing.
Yeh I've been saying that for a long time:

- Choosing class would be good and would not only allow spawns to work correctly (keeper positions, positions good for boosting, ballspawn after opposing team scores..) but would also allow for other things, like keeper physics (and who gets it and when) would be less dodgy (now you can easily fuck up with a sweep getting keeper physics all of a sudden O_o..this would get even shittier if people would actually apply that whole new full rotation idea), and maybe all classes can have a different model, or a set of physical elements added to the model :o Like small/thin/fast-looking attackers, padded keepers, really big defenders.

Of course actual physics (speed, volleys, etc.) would be just the same for everyone =\

Only good for fixing some problems with physics and spawns, and optionally adding a new flavour to model choices etc.

- Also, what about a bool for league games? bLeagueGame would take auto-screenshots of f1 and f3 at the end, would have some kind of rules over pausing (who what when and how often), and either serverside demorec automatically, or just the end-replay (or both if possible, and saving them seperately)

edit:
- Hot potatoe mode :D ballcarrier can not move, and needs to shoot it away after 3 seconds or it will explode and dropflag. (that's not really hot potatoe, but you get the idea)

- As for freekicks, make it a special mode, like the training mode thing Cat suggested :) (really good idea :o mini-games..although I guess real game-physics would be required, not tweaked ones)
Last edited by Messy on 21-05-2004 12:59, edited 1 time in total.
R3L!K

Post by R3L!K »

this is just a guess but i believe americans prefer high scoring games because all US sports are high scoring.... Euro's love football (soccer) hence the preference for low scoring games... both have their advantages... high scoring allows both teams to feel like they are making an impact in the game. When its low scoring it can be fustrating sometimes.

On the flip side its all the more satisfying when you do score if its actuallly harder to do so.

I just feel sorry for golf fans... -9 (yay!)
R3L!K

Post by R3L!K »

might be nice to have a 'set-piece' mode...

one team attacks, one defends.

the attacking team start with a free kick and have 30 sec to score.... then turn it around...
priior

Post by priior »

on a side note.. football (soccer) was really fun when it used to be high(er) scoring :) (10 years ago:)
R3L!K

Post by R3L!K »

i dont think it was ever significantly higher... but there are occasional goal fests nowadays
Achilles

Post by Achilles »

2-1 games are so anoying theyre fun
I remember playing AoV with FB scores like 4-3
That was fun because the game stays excisting at all times.
I was a sweep but i changed to attacker since i was sick of it getting easier for attackers.
With this getting a bit better balanced i might even go back to sweep :p
n00bs_own_Madogg

Post by n00bs_own_Madogg »

Couldnt be bothered to read all the posts, I got as far as the defence argument so this ones for RaGe ^^

I hEaR yA RaGe!!!!!!!!!!!!!

s'same with keeping, I was playing this morning and on countless occasions my "defence" decided it would be cool to go for some easy goals because their keeper was a noob... as RaGe said, it just ended up with goals at the other end :P No not because I SUCK, but because the strikers were ... world class DB gods ... :D .... (Im not as bad as I was :( really, i think its all coming back to me lol)

But as for the thread itself, I think DB is fine as it is :| maybe the awards system needs to be changed slightly.... keeper gets no credit what so ever... and maybe the grey ball thing :P looks kinda ugly when paired with lime green (but i like the lime green ;) lol)
neloangelo

Post by neloangelo »

here is an idea how about a deathball verison thats not beta