Removal of Sprint.

Everything about Death Ball.

Moderators: Jay2k1, DavidM, The_One

YoYo789

Removal of Sprint.

Post by YoYo789 »

Why?

Does sprint clash with the new code? The very slight modifications in Cata's sprint mutator coupled with the 1.9 sprint code and a lower setting for the recharge rate of sprint would have been perfect.

Ah well... I guess it's EuroBall these days. Ignore the rest of the community so you can focus on the Cube-League.
f1end

Post by f1end »

Errr, I beleive there was a post asking the WHOLE community about this, and no1 complained...AFAIK

anyway, sprint sux ass
YoYo789

Post by YoYo789 »

Wow, a single post on a forum that very few of the community visits. I don't check here everyday, and I don't think any of the Australian community does.

Sprint does not "sux ass". Done correctly, as it was very nearly in v1.6, it adds another tactical level to the gameplay. It makes you think hard about situations which warrant using sprint, and it allows twice as many maneuvres as without sprint.

Having played without sprint for the last 1-2 months, I must say that there is less innovation, less fun, and the game is noticably boring.
siLVer

Post by siLVer »

you can open a server with sprint on it, but it's as useless as offside, it would make the gameplay worse
YoYo789

Post by YoYo789 »

In it's current implementation it makes the gameplay worse. But having now played both, I am of the opinion that DB1.9 without sprint is 10 times as boring as DB1.6 was with sprint.

And we had a server running for over 6 months with sprint, and people played it very regularly, usually everyday during its peak.
Kr4ng

Post by Kr4ng »

I think sprint is not that bad. imo most people joust fear to "learn" how to use it. With sprint there woukld be a more surprising feature in the game as it is now without sprint.
Armagon

Post by Armagon »

In the last couple of weeks (maybe even a month) our server has been so empty. A lot of people have been saying that they find DB boring now without sprint (but most agree that sprint in its present state sucks).
Last edited by Armagon on 08-01-2004 15:31, edited 1 time in total.
Inphidel

Post by Inphidel »

print was ok, but the shoe trails and noise sucked.. just make it so you run fastwer without all that fancy shit. and it'd be nifty.

but when i played with sprint it was just sooo anoying always hearing that noise and getting fps lag cuz my comp kinda sux and the trails just beat it up :<
Armagon

Post by Armagon »

The sound was an important part of play, whether you like it or not.
Take this sutation for example:

You have the ball and are making a run for the enemy team's goal. Suddenly you hear the sound of an enemy player tearing up the track from behind you with his sprint, so your immediate reaction is to use what sprint you have left and make a break for the goals. You charge up, shoot, and score.

Now imagine that situation without the sound. Unless you were watching your radar CONSTANTLY, it is quite likely that you would have gotten caught off guard. Possible even killed.

I personally had no problem with the sprint sound, as you get used to it pretty quickly (the same way I'm now used to the tetris sounds :p). If sprint were to be kept in (PLEASE!!!) then perhaps an option to turn off the sprint sound would be ideal?

As for the trails, I quite liked them. They didn't really kill the FPS that much at all (unless you have a pretty s**t video card).
Last edited by Armagon on 08-01-2004 15:46, edited 1 time in total.
DigitalDJ

Post by DigitalDJ »

i am yet another member of the australian db community, eventhough i dont play as much. 1.9 sprint is completely fcked...1.6 was great sprint and we used to have lots of fun playing with sprint making the game a more tactical and "nail-biting" game. Taking the option out would just be stupid. I'm sure its not hard to keep it in and just fix it up the way it used to be.
Armagon

Post by Armagon »

Our DB community took a heavy hit when we turned off sprint, but it was simply too f***ed up for it to be any fun. Without a doubt 1.6 sprint was the best.
Last edited by Armagon on 08-01-2004 16:16, edited 1 time in total.
DavidM

Post by DavidM »

sprint could never be perfect
improve one thing, another thing gets worse....
we just would never get near perfection with it....so...
Armagon

Post by Armagon »

But it was near perfect in 1.6. Would it be possible to get the original sprint code from 1.6 and stick it in 2.0? :<
Last edited by Armagon on 08-01-2004 18:31, edited 1 time in total.
DaJero

Post by DaJero »

If it was near perfect we wouldn't have changed it so dramaticly, it was just perfect in your opinion. Back then there were complains as well. Sprint is gone, we're sorry.

And while reading this thread I got kind of angry. I feel people are thinking of us as racists who only think of the european part of the community. That's just not true. There is also a part of the european community that liked sprint, I can't see why we're only thinking of Europeans.
DigitalDJ

Post by DigitalDJ »

if you were only thinking of euros...then why cant be sprint put in?

the whole aussie community has agreed that 1.6 is the best...and im sure its not hard to put in with a few tweaks...

and if noone uses it from euro/us/ect then why cant it be put in for the aussies and the way they like it?

im sure it wouldnt hurt and definatly not kill db just by adding an optional feature to the gameplay.

you might say, well we arent putting it because the aussie community isnt big....what i have to say is: does it matter? we have a far smaller population, we dont have a large ut2003 community either. by putting sprint in, you give people more options and if it can be tweaked correctly to at least make the only community that uses it happy, i think it should be put in

im starting to think that it could be just pure lazyness. i mean noone put any thaught into 1.9 sprint because supposedly NOONE USED IT....but the AUSTRALIAN community does, thats right, the little island&continent in the southern hemisphere that noone remembers ;p

i would still stress that it IS AN OPTIONAL GAMEPLAY OPTION so it will not muck up main gameplay...and as for performance issues...i used to run ut2k3/db on my old geforce (1) 256 ddr 64mb @ 640x480 min details, and the trails did not effect anything...to give an example on how crap wth vid card was i got 2500 3dmarks on a p3 1ghz
Last edited by DigitalDJ on 08-01-2004 19:11, edited 1 time in total.